CNC and clock building

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bill z

Re: CNC and clock building

Post by bill z »

Your idea started me thinking about the grove in the pulley wheel, and here is what I came up with. I tried to eliminate as many variables as I could for accuracy. Anything I hold in my hand creates too many variables. Putting a motor in my hand just adds to the variables.

For lack of a better term, I’m going to call the part of the pulley that connects the pulley wheel to the weight, the pulley mount. I placed the pulley mount horizontally to my table saw fence just above the saw blade with the wheel mounted in it. Then I held the pulley wheel so it would not freewheel with the saw running and raised the saw blade just a little at a time turning the pulley wheel by hand till the grove was a satisfactory depth all around the pulley wheel.

This was not a perfect square at the bottom of the grove but a small wood file finished it off.

Next time I do this (if there is one), I think I’ll do as you suggested and have the CNC cut the pulley wheels as 2 halves from ¼ stock and cut a 1/16 groove before cutting the wheel out, then gluing them together. Maybe first pass on the line then the rest outside the line.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

That's an even better idea. This would eliminate the 3rd part requirement in the center. Like it.
I might suggest to drill through them with a 1/16 inch bit and drive some 1/16 rod through it to stiffen it up. Don't want em separating dropping weight on the floor. Always seems to happen at 2 AM when your getting the best nights sleep in years :)
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

bill z

Post by bill z »

Here is the finished clock that I'll be giving to my very good friend soon to retire in Colorado.

He says that it is glorious but does not meet his wife's décor (sort of clashes) so it will not go in the cabin. He WILL have a place for it in his work shop.

I should of made it more antique looking and not so much on the yellow green. Because I know his wife and she is a wonderful person, she will appreciate this from afar.
1936DeereSimplicity
1936DeereSimplicity

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Nice Work!
Albert Einstein

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

cjablonski wrote:I had this idea of using a phone app that I can not find. Don’t even know if it exists. Where it listens to the ticks of the clock and gives me the number of beats per second in hundredths or spacing of the ticks.
Before the "phone apps" came along there was Microset, which is a very accurate tool for clock repair and building. Can also be connected to a laptop for data recording etc. Brian Mumford is a really good guy, and his product is much better than the apps below, but more expensive.
http://www.bmumford.com/microset.html

Now there are some nice apps out there for iPhones and android as well

Clock master for iPhone iPad.
http://clockmasterapp.com for iPhone

and Clock Tuner for Android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... uner&hl=en

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Funny. So many posts here I do t even remember writing that :). Thanks for the tips runge!
Albert Einstein

bill z

Post by bill z »

As long as the question for a phone app is answered, who really cares who asked the question.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

bill z wrote:As long as the question for a phone app is answered, who really cares who asked the question.
Is there a problem with my statement?
Albert Einstein

bill z

Post by bill z »

No problem.

I made the statement about wanting to find an app. You had been given credit. And that was OK. That is the reason I said that it makes no difference as to who made the statement. An app was relayed to us. I tried the app and it does work.

Now for something completely different: Something about the clock I made with the old Deere logo. The board with the logo amplifies the ticking of the clock like a speaker. The ticking is transmitted up the frame of the clock to the face and out. Something I had not figured on. I guess I could dampen the sound a little by mounting the face on rubber mounts. However, I sort of like the ticking.

I thought I would mention that.

BillK

Post by BillK »

Amazing work and thread gentlemen, I almost feel I'm interupting. I'm just making my first foray into building one of these beauties, a Brian Law design. Thanks for posting all your insights, just finished reading through all of them. I'm never happy just making parts that others designed so I'm already adding my own touches, hopefully I don't ruin anything.

Thanks again.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver