Am I the only one who thinks NWA is making a mistake?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

scubanimal

Am I the only one who thinks NWA is making a mistake?

Post by scubanimal »

I've been looking at the HD4, as an replacement to my HD PRO. I like the beefier guides and what appears to be a stronger structure. But I'm hearing that it only works with the pendant. Meaning the computer interface for jogging, testing the path perimeter, re-registering, and quick interfaces is gone. The pendant frustrates me with its minimal controls and taking so many steps to do what can be simply by the computer interface. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who is aghast at the business decision to only go with the pendant?

I can see the pendant as useful for starting out, and production type runs; but not as the only option.

studio-n

Re: Am I the only one who thinks NWA is making a mistake?

Post by studio-n »

I agree. I like having the PC right there so I can make updates and tweaks and not have to job back and forth from the office.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

SteveM

Re: Am I the only one who thinks NWA is making a mistake?

Post by SteveM »

I have a HD4 and was told by tech support that if I didn't want to use the pendant, I could use a pc and run the control panel software like any other of there Sharks. I did have a pendant problem, but NWA support talked me thru adjusting it, and it has worked fine ever since.
I haven't tried it yet, because I like using the pendant, but if you call tech support, they will probably confirm this function.
The main reason I bought the HD4 was because of the pendant, and they were throwing in the laser engraver during a Rockler promotion. I didn't want to have a pc in the shop, because of all the dust and trying to keep things clean.
The only thing I haven't figured out is how do I upgrade the firmware in the control box. Once there is a software update, I will contact tech support to walk me thru any updates.
So far, I like the HD4, but I haven't used it much, because of having too many other projects to complete before the holidays.

I still think it is a good machine and the tech support department has answered all the questions I have asked them.

SteveM