Shark HD4 bed - can you add to the bed?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Kayvon

Re: Shark HD4 bed - can you add to the bed?

Post by Kayvon »

meb wrote:If you have 3 inches and use a inch post processor it cuts 3 inches. If you have 3 inches but use a mm post processor it cuts 3 mm. The post processor looks at the value and does not convert between inch and metric.
I don't believe this is accurate. The post processor files include directives to specify the units for conversion. (I looked through one just yesterday). But rather than argue back and forth, how about we each test a simple operation on both post processors and see what happens? I'll post my results this evening after I try it out.

Cjablonski is on the right track. Rather than modify your Shark, why not design a new CNC machine? You're pretty close to accomplishing by the time you've modified it to begin with. And if you're happy with the new machine, you can sell off the Shark. I know a lot of hobbyists with self-built CNC machines use this technique to get bigger and better machines each round.

IDBD

Post by IDBD »

Do you have a direct link to where you purchased it?

tonydude wrote:I have the HD mako shark which I took off the gantry and bought the extended bed from nextwaveautomation for $1500.00 and it works great. Had the extended bed for over a year and had no problems with it. I can carve a 25 x 52 inch plaque on it.

Tony

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Kayvon wrote:
meb wrote:The post processor looks at the value and does not convert between inch and metric.
how about we each test a simple operation on both post processors and see what happens?
I ran a simple drill operation for a hole at 1" x 1". You can see in the attached files that the post processor does indeed convert everything to mm when requested.
There's also a command in the gcode that tells the control box to interpret these values as mm, lest you think the Shark will try to drill at 25.4" x 25.4".
Attachments
Drill inch.tap
G-code for inches
(892 Bytes) Downloaded 290 times
Drill mm.tap
G-code for millimeters
(889 Bytes) Downloaded 278 times