Vector-Schmector

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hitest4

Vector-Schmector

Post by hitest4 »

I have the basic shark with vectric. I'm trying to cut a curved ogee line completely from the top of my board to the bottom, off the edge on both, but only on the left side of the line. When I select my vector, it goes down the left side and then continues up the right side, which is not what I want. I'm using the 3/8ths inch flat bottomed bit. I've tried all I know to get only the single left-side cut, without success. Thank you for your answer. Mike from The Great Mojave Desert

kghinsr

Re: Vector-Schmector

Post by kghinsr »

Mike
your line is to thick
it should be hairline thickness
set your depth of cut per pass and it should
go back and forth without moving side to side
Ken
CNC Shark Pro, Laser Engraving, and other CNC equipment

hitest4

Post by hitest4 »

Ahhh... Thank you, Ken! I'll thin down my line. I never thought of that. Top o'th'marnin t'ya!

hitest4

Post by hitest4 »

I was hoping a thinner line would work to solve this problem, but after making a new, thinner line (.3mm), I still have the same thing happen. The question remains: Can I cut a .375 end mill down the length of a 5 inch curved vertical line, only on the left side? Or, is this something that my Shark cannot do? Seems this should be simple to answer. Thanks for your reply. Hitest Mike

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Mike,

I've attached a simple project where the bit stays on the "left side" of the line. I did change the default Direction in the profile UI to Climb. By stepping through this, I see the bit only on the "left side" of the line. Don't know if this will help or not.

I frankly haven't tried even half of the various settings in most of these toolpaths - so don't have any other ideas off the top of my head. You're welcome to post the project file - or a subset that duplicates the condition you're in and I'm sure one of us will be able to provide better insight.
Attachments
left side of line.crv
Left Side of Line VCarve Project
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Hitest Mike,

Let me guess... you're just a way too busy guy and just never had the time to look at the Vectric tutorials. I recommend you do so because they cover all the things you could possibly want to do. Otherwise, as mentioned, when you have a problem, please post the Vectric drawing of what you are trying to do. Your description, I am sorry to say, is just not enough to go on. :roll:

Have a great day Mike!!

hitest4

Post by hitest4 »

Imagine a thin vertical line across a clean, horizontal pine board. Now imagine a slight curve in the line. Imagine a 3/8ths inch endmill bit cutting along the left side of this curved line, either upwards or downwards, it doesn't matter, just on the LEFT side. Too complicated? How do I get my Vectric/Shark system to do this? WILL my Shark do this? This is the main question. Let me explain. I had struggled with some curved fonts previously, unsuccessfully trying to do with them what I later discovered my system was incapable of doing. Somebody out there knew the answer. I did not. The answer was not in the tutorials. The answer was not in the operating instructions. The answer was written to somebody else who had had the same problem as me. Yes, tutorials are so much fun! I could watch them all day, and into the night, they're so fun. I have just as much TIME every day as everybody living. The situation here doesn't call for more tutorial indoctrination. I'm amazed at what I see happen with this machine as I watch tutorials, but sometimes my machine does not do what the videos show it should do. It doesn't involve time. How much time I personally have, and how busy I am are neither in the equation. I really am thankful for all GOOD answers to this question, dr_who, simply because it's a good, honest question. Have a superlative day. Mojave Mike

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Mike - I guess my input didn't help you - my only other idea is for you to post this file so I can look at the same thing you are working with. Shoot me a pm if you want to do this offline.

hitest4

Post by hitest4 »

Thanks, Joe. I've tried changing all the toolpath direction settings, but no change. I'm going to delete the whole sytem and re-upload it to see... Mike

dr_when

Post by dr_when »

HiTest,

Sorry, didn't mean to get you all revved up. If I understand your description you may just have to select the curved vector and select profile toolpath and select inside or outside. That's about all there is. What did you actually try?
hitest.jpg
Have an awesome day Test!!