How much dust is acceptable?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hdtheater

How much dust is acceptable?

Post by hdtheater »

That is after about 2 hours of carving. Note the mess on the floor too.

I am using a dust boot with an Oneida cyclone dust collector and a Shop Vac.

How Much dust/ chip do you generate? Vs. How much you collect? If you have photos of your setup, please post.

I am starting to rethink my setup and am looking for pros/ cons of dust boots vs. Enclosures.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

Buc

Re: How much dust is acceptable?

Post by Buc »

Eric,

I built an enclosure for my shark. It does help contain the dust and suppress noise. Have a dust collector hooked to the enclosure. It won't clean all the dust out of machine area. Also have an air filtration system for the shop area. My shop is in the basement of our house which I share with my wife and her 3 sewing machines.

Built my frame out of free 2X4's saved from the dumpster. Put plexiglass panels on all 4 sides and top. Make it so the plexiglass can be removed from at least 3 sides for maintance purposes. I have a shop light over the top for lighting. If need be the cage can be lifted off. Mine may not be pretty but it helps alot.

Buc
Attachments
shark cage
shark cage
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Hey Buc,

How much dust do you collect vs. have to come back and suck up afterward?

I am thinking about getting one of those huge megaphone like attachments on one end and then using a box fan or something to blow fresh air across the table.

Another idea I had was to take the return hose from the shop vac and have it blow down on the work surface to agitate the dust to keep it in the air and sucked up in the suction end.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Buc

Post by Buc »

Eric,

My system could use something to blow the dust to the back where the intake for the dust collector is located. I still have a lot to shop vac. At least it is contained within the cage. I suppose if it had more suction is would turn the plexiglass inside out. I'm just happy to keep the dust out of the air and off the floor.

Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

The more I read about dust collection, the more the enclosure is becoming my top choice.

I am using a cyclone and a shop Vac now. I thought about upgrading to a DC, but then you have to start worrying about micron ratings on bags. Even then, you need an air filter to filter the micro fine particles. With an enclosure, it just makes a huge mess in the enclosure and then you just suck it all up.

Most of my reading has been basic shop needs. Not too many articles where CNC is used.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

If it is MDF you cut the most, then yes, an enclosure is the only way to go, if not, there are lots of options posted here you can see with a search.
Just be careful of static build up around the table and equipment. A little grounding will go a long way.

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

GARYR6 wrote:If it is MDF you cut the most, then yes, an enclosure is the only way to go, if not, there are lots of options posted here you can see with a search.
Just be careful of static build up around the table and equipment. A little grounding will go a long way.
Thanks for your reply Gary. I have viewed all the different setups people have posted here as well as on the Vectric forum. They never post a picture of a dirty shop! :) Another thing is that most video show people cutting into materials that don't leave that much of a mess. I have read a lot about claims for capturing dust, but am curious about realistic expectations. After investing in a DC and all the fittings, how much dust should I expect to get? or would I be better off just putting an enclosure around it and the suck it up after with a shop vac and cyclone?

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

I use a box made of plywood of about 2.5 inches high around the "cut table". This keeps about 85% on the saw dust on the table so I can vac it off. The other 15% I sweep up. The problem with MDF is it is not saw dust but just dust and the only way to control it is with a enclosure. I don't cut MDF anymore because of the dust. Even with a dust shoe which I have. MDF still puts out a fair amount of dust. So if the want MFD I send them to my competition. OR I would build a enclosure.