3 D Designs

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Dash

3 D Designs

Post by Dash »

I purchased a rope and barbed wire border from Vectric and I want to change the dimensions. The borders are rectangular from the site but I want them square. Am I missing something? I cannot change the dimensions??

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: 3 D Designs

Post by jeb2cav »

Are you using VCarve Pro?

Dash

Post by Dash »

Hello, Jeb!!
No, cut 3-d.. Didn't know I could cut 3d's on v-carve pro. Honestly, I tried but the files would not upload to v carve so I am using cut 3-d.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Okay...I see where you are going. Import the file over? I am trying but v-carve is not picking up on the tap files...

fison

Post by fison »

Dash,

The only way I know to manipulate a 3d element, other than scaling with Cut3D or Vector Art 3D Machinist, is with Aspire.
Paul Fison
Tacoma, Washington, USA
(253) 925-0855

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Dash - Paul is spot on. I am fortunate to be using Aspire, so have only limited experience with Cut3D and Vector Art 3D Machinist (VA3DM).

A description of the model part of the workflow from Cut3D/VA3DM can be found here: http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=382

What I've found by kicking the tires with Cut3D and a Vector Art 3D model that I've purchased, is that disabling the 'Lock XYZ ratio' button does not work as expected with the 3 VA3D models I tried. By unchecking that, you are enabling the user to set the XYZ dimensions with no regard for the original model's ration. No matter what I tried and how, any time I entered a value in X, the Y would update in a ration manner.
No XYZ Ratio will not work with VA3D model
No XYZ Ratio will not work with VA3D model
While I'm a big fan of VA3D, there are other models out there, and I also have a scan probe. Using either of those, disabling the 'Lock XYZ ratio' button resulted in being able to set any of the XYZ values as I'd expect when this is disabled.
Cut3D non- VectorArt3D no XYZ ratio does work
Cut3D non- VectorArt3D no XYZ ratio does work
The good news is that there is a free, similar product to Cut3D available from VA3D downloads - VectorArt 3D Machinist (VA3DM). Using VA3DM, I was able to turn a rectangular model into a square model by disabling the 'Link Width and Height'. In the picture below, I also disabled 'Scale Depth with X and Y' before I disabled 'Link Width and Height'.
VA3DM Make a Square from a Rectangle
VA3DM Make a Square from a Rectangle
So, if you are using VA3DM, you'll want to perform a "save as" from the file menu, or you will write over the original model you downloaded. Don't panic if you forget - you can log into VA3D and download your purchase again to get back to the 'original.'

You can then import this into VCarve Pro (the v3m file), however I've also found that a file saved as a v3m from VA3DM will not load into Cut3D. It appears as if only 'original' v3m downloads from VA3D will load in Cut3D at this time.

Hope this helps clear this up enough to enable you to create what you want.

Bob

Post by Bob »

After reading these posts, I have been trying the unlock ratio function out of curiosity. When using Cut3D with a Vector Art model that I purchased in STL format, I am able to change individual dimensions. Try the free samples in each of the three formats. Also, I think that Vector art allows you to change formats for a model that you have already purchased. http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/index. ... l&ID=50348 It's explained in the small print below the preview pictures.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Bob,

That's a great catch - you can't change the dimensions out of xyz ratio in Cut3D if you start with a v3m format, but can with an stl. But you can change the dimensions out of xyz ratio of a v3m in Vector Art 3D Machinist. Thanks for finding that and sharing the info.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Gentlemen, Good Morning!!!
Thank you for your advice. I had Machinist on my other puter and forgot about the program. I downloaded the latest version and it lets me manipulate the dimensions I am looking for. Thank you for all your help.
By the way, here is my first cut out...Real horseshoes and real rope. My new coffee table.
Attachments
000_0231.JPG

Bob

Post by Bob »

Dash,
Great project. Nice combination of elements.
You should post this in the "Show off Your Projects" section.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)