Shark Pro Plus Problem

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

lwelch

Shark Pro Plus Problem

Post by lwelch »

I wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same problem I have with my Shark Pro Plus machine. I will work up a project and save the .tap file to my desktop. When I use the Shark Control Panel to open the file it does and all seems fine. I have had a problem (several times) when carving that it seems to be working well, when for some unknown reason the bit drills down into the wood and just stops and spins. It appears to move around in the "plunged hole" it created but that's about it. Is there something I am doing to cause this? Any help or suggestions to troubleshoot this would be appreciated. I am what you might consider a little above beginner on the machine so it is probably me.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Shark Pro Plus Problem

Post by jeb2cav »

The first thing to check are the lead screw/motor axis collar set screws. You can use wood glue to help secure them - loctite is not recommended. There is a flat part that the screws should be set against.

This can also be caused by screen savers and power management (laptop). Be sure to set the screen save to never and power management to always on.

Let us know if this doesn't cure this.

Eagle55

Re: Shark Pro Plus Problem

Post by Eagle55 »

I'm sure this won't help but will at least give some input as to any thought that the HD machines are having a lot of problems. I ordered mine a day or two before Thanksgiving and got it the following week. Everything has gone smooth and I have done a couple of small "learning jobs" on it including some thru cuts (which really scares me LOL) Only thing I had that was amiss was that after I "air carved" my first attempt, there was about a 1/4" play on the X axis which was due to the set screw on the lead screw coupling being loose. I think they tightened it and it wasn't squarely on the flat, so that when the machine started moving it wasn't tight at all. In reading post here on the forum, this has been a minor to sometimes a major problem with several screws loose. Other than that everything has been predictable and the machine doing just what I tell it to do. Hopefully your problem will be as simple as a loose screw.
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com