Consistant cutting depth problem

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Bob

Re: Consistant cutting depth problem

Post by Bob »

OK Rick,
First of all it looks like you used the Create Profile instead of the Create VCarve/Engraving Toolpath function to make your picture.
Calculate your engraving toolpath using the Create VCarve/Engraving Toolpath function.
So try the solutions I described above, again, using the Create VCarve/Engraving Toolpath function. Also try a smaller clearance pass stepover. Safe Z should be a lot more, like .25 or so. I'm guessing that's what Z1 refers to.

To be on the safe side for your actual cut with the shark, Set Z 0 way above the surface and try an air cut to see what happens..

Calculate your flattening toolpath using the Create Pocket function. This isn't needed during the preview process though.

I use a 60 degree V bit for most of my engraving, but a 90 V should work fine.

Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Bob

Post by Bob »

Rick,
If all else fails, export your file as an eps format. I would enjoy taking a try at it.
Bob
"Focus"

Bob

Post by Bob »

I tried the picture you posted:
civil 1.jpg
Is it getting closer?

I also tried putting a rectangle around it to reverse the image, but my computer could not handle the job...Too many details.

Bob
"Focus"

historybuff

Post by historybuff »

Bingo! With your help, I managed to get excellent results. See preview. :D
bingo.jpg
Now, if i may, on to the second problem = creating a pocket for resurfacing. Using the final block size of 3.5 wide by 3 inches in height, do I go from here?

On job setup do I click "Use origin offset?"

I know I need to draw a rectange around the edge, so I enlarge the block size to accomodate? Do I need to draw 2 rectangles to create an inset edge outside the actal block size? (Material Setup: Z = 0, Clearance = 0, Plunge Depth = 0.125 (Remove 1/8 inch depth.)

Would a .25 mill end bit work OK?

On pocket toolpath, what settings for each field?

Start Depth = 0
Cut Depth = 0.125
Select "Use larger clearance tool"?
Clear pocket: Climb or Conventional?
Cut Direction: Offset or Raster?
Pocket Allowance = 0.125?
Ramp Plunge Moves?

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

Rick Brown

Bob

Post by Bob »

Rick
When I am using a pocket cut to flatten the work surface, I treat it as a seperate cut from the engraving cut. All I need to know is how big the picture is going to be, then draw the rectangle about .125 larger all around. I only go deep enough to flatten the board...usually about .05 inch. It depends on how far off your table is. A .25 bit with a .125 stepover will work fine. It will just take a little longer.

Start Depth = 0 Looks good
Cut Depth = 0.125 it would work but probably deeper than needed
Select "Use larger clearance tool"? the .25 bit is sort of the clearance tool so this option is not needed.
Clear pocket: Climb or Conventional? either one
Cut Direction: Offset or Raster? either one
Pocket Allowance = 0.125? I don't use it, so I don't know. I leave at 0.0. For this cut it's a good time to try the feature though.
Ramp Plunge Moves? for a shallow cut like this you really don't need it. But it's also a good time to play with the feature. It allows the bit to enter the material as if it were descending a ramp to the specified depth, instead of plunging directly straight down to the depth.

For this shallow flattening cut on such a small area, this is a good time try some of the options for pocket cutting. See what they do and how they could be of value in future projects.

Always try an air cut at this stage of learning, and any time you are not 100% sure of the outcome. And, have your finger poised over the big red emergency stop button.
Or, the cursor over the pause button.

One more thought, How are you clamping this project? It's not much fun to run cutters into clamps. So be sure that your material is enough oversize for clamps to hold without being hit. Sometimes I use double sided carpet tape to hold the work to a .25 thick board that is oversize, then clamp that thin board to the table.

Bob
"Focus"