BOSCH Colt Trim Router Maintenance

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

REG

Re: BOSCH Colt Trim Router Maintenance

Post by REG »

That's great Bob. I just got mine back together a little over a week ago. I didn't follow up - kinda forgot.
I went with SKF bearings, they were a little more than "generic" but I believe it week be worth the cost and effort. The Colt runs smoother so a will see how it holds up compared to OEM. I won't use this router until my one in use now is wore out.

Bobby

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Does anyone know if this fix could be applied to a router in which the variable speed controller has gone out? Mine locked into high speed this evening.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

REG

Post by REG »

hdtheater wrote:Does anyone know if this fix could be applied to a router in which the variable speed controller has gone out? Mine locked into high speed this evening.

-Eric
Did you take the Colt apart? If the speed control actually failed it would likely fail "open" and not work at all. It is fairly easy to access but replacement would require soldiering - I think.
Try cleaning, if that doesn't work you can use an external speed control (available for brush type motors) since you are already at full speed.

Bobby

TDA

Post by TDA »

hdtheater wrote:Does anyone know if this fix could be applied to a router in which the variable speed controller has gone out? Mine locked into high speed this evening.

-Eric
From my understanding of people trying to disable them for the SuperPID the speed control is disabled by shorting two legs of the triac (Pic below). So my guess is either something is shorting yours or your triac needs replaced.

Regardless it shouldn't effect your ability to replace other parts in the router.
Attachments
Colt_PR20EVS_Bypass_mod6.jpg
John Torrez
Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

I bought another one to get back to business. I'll take it apart tomorrow and see what the issue is. If it can be repaired, it would be good to have a spare.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

I bought another one to get back to business. I'll take it apart tomorrow and see what the issue is. If it can be repaired, it would be good to have a spare.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

TDA wrote:

-Eric
From my understanding of people trying to disable them for the SuperPID the speed control is disabled by shorting two legs of the triac (Pic below). So my guess is either something is shorting yours or your triac needs replaced.

Regardless it shouldn't effect your ability to replace other parts in the router.
Mine was not shorted together. However, it was very dusty in there and maybe that had something to do with it. Also, I pulled the brushes out and they were worn down to a nub. I am going to go ahead and order some replacements and see if that makes a difference. Not to mention give the innards a good cleaning.

Will post once done and let you know how I made out.

Thanks,

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

REG

Post by REG »

Eric, if you go that far you may consider replacing the bearings. Although the bearings are good for every other brush change but if you often run the Colt at full speed (over 25,000 rpm) you have given the bearings twice the amount of wear as running at 10,000 - 12,0000 rpm. The collet end bearing is a bit of a trick to remove but it is the one that gets most of the heat and most of the load.
I now keep two Colts so I can make R&R on one while the spare takes over the cutting tasks on the Shark.

Bobby