Shark Pro Plus HD

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

SR71

Shark Pro Plus HD

Post by SR71 »

The new HD model is being advertised at Rockler - it accepts up to 2.5 horsepower routers. The ad also states that the Y-axis can be extended to 48", but there is no accessory or option being advertised with the new model to provide this. The ad seems to imply that travel can also be expanded beyond 25". Does anyone know what is required to expand the travel? Seems like it would take a major engineering change to accomplish. I was getting close to ordering a Pro Plus as my first CNC router when I noticed that the HD model is coming out on Oct 27. Wanted to get everything properly ordered. Thanks.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Shark Pro Plus HD

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi - you can contact Next Wave Automation directly to discuss purchasing an extended table. It's not offered directly from Rockler to my knowledge. It's not a major engineering change to accomplish this and maintain accuracy/performance - just a longer table/support rods/etc. To my knowledge, this is only an extension of the Y axis - the X remains as stated in their catalogue.

Joraft

Post by Joraft »

SR71 wrote:
... The ad also states that the Y-axis can be extended to 48", but there is no accessory or option being advertised with the new model to provide this. The ad seems to imply that travel can also be expanded beyond 25". Does anyone know what is required to expand the travel?
Sadly, that ad is misleading, the Y axis is not actually expandable at this time. But there will be an expansion kit available somewhere around the 2nd quarter of 2012. The price is not yet known. (this according to an email from Tim Owens a couple of days ago).
John

CountryWoodCrafts

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

This unit sounds like my machine. . . but you do an xy swap . . . . .My top is 28 x 62.
My total cutting area is like 25 1/2 x 51

SR71

Post by SR71 »

Joraft wrote:
SR71 wrote:
... The ad also states that the Y-axis can be extended to 48", but there is no accessory or option being advertised with the new model to provide this. The ad seems to imply that travel can also be expanded beyond 25". Does anyone know what is required to expand the travel?
Sadly, that ad is misleading, the Y axis is not actually expandable at this time. But there will be an expansion kit available somewhere around the 2nd quarter of 2012. The price is not yet known. (this according to an email from Tim Owens a couple of days ago).
Thanks ! This will still be the model that I order. It's a very small upgrade cost to gain the ability to use a larger router.

Joraft

Post by Joraft »

SR71 wrote:
Thanks ! This will still be the model that I order. It's a very small upgrade cost to gain the ability to use a larger router.
I would agree, and moving up from a 1hp router to a 2.25hp is quite a difference.
John

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

From the HD specs page..

"more power that allows up to 200 inches per min."
"Resolution: control to 0.000125 inch."

do these occur simultaneously? while cutting something? Is that speed for rapids only?
It appears that the machine is more accurate than the tolerance of a good router collet. .0005

The Hd will no doubt improve on the flex issues of the earlier non supported designs, but 0.000125" ?

There may be a lot of us who would like to know what the typical performance will be.
Looking forward to the posts from the first users.

PeteD

Post by PeteD »

Does anyone know if there will be an upgrade available for us current pro plus users to be able to use the larger router? And if so what is the cost? Pete

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

The HD is a different machine that has been redesigned to handle the weight and torque of a larger router.
IF we created a cradle that would fit a Pro Plus you would lose about 1/2 inch in travel (since the router is larger) and you might have some flexing issues since it is not renforced to handle it.
We can look into this after the 1st of the year since we are very busy currently.

Tim

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

Just to restate you cant convert a Pro Plus into an HD. They are totally different except the electronics. The HD has alot more reenforcement for the weight of the new router.