Problems with Cut 3d and probe

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

EricTalley

Problems with Cut 3d and probe

Post by EricTalley »

Please Help.

I scanned an item with the probe. The origional item is 5.5 X 6.5 X 1.25 high. When I go to Cut 3D, the size of the item shows up as 31.75 High, and almost 10 feet across. I have down sized it in cut 3d and saved it as a .tap file. When I go to the CNC shark and load the G file, all looks good, except the router never moves more than 1/8 inch. I have even tried saving the file as a different .tap file. Nothing works. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thank You in advance.

Eric (USMC Retired)

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Problems with Cut 3d and probe

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Eric,

Did you copy the CNC Shark post processors into the Cut3D post processor folder on disk? You have to perform this step just as you did for VCarve, but in the Cut3D folder. This is my first guess as to why the gantry is moving only 1/8" when you run this job. For a more detailed discussion of post processors and location on disk, see http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109.

In my limited use of Cut3D, I've found that I always have to input the "correct" size of what I scanned when I import the stl file. Leaving the xyz ration locked, I change one value to the "correct" value and the other seem to then be "correct" also.

You can also save the Cut3D project and then import that into a VCarve Pro project as well.

Let me know if the post processor cured this for you.

EricTalley

Re: Problems with Cut 3d and probe

Post by EricTalley »

Joe,
Your solution worked perfect. Took a little time to figure out the specifics, since I'm a Marine and not a computer guy. Can break down and reassemble an M16 blind folded, but have trouble with computers with both eyes open. Can't thank you enough.

Eric