Updated Shark Control panel

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Joraft

Re: Updated Shark Control panel

Post by Joraft »

jeb2cav wrote:
... But the overall tenor of some of the posts in this thread and some others, both old and new, are mostly negative in my opinion - particularly if you were a person thinking about purchasing a CNC machine and were reading through various forums.

... I always enjoy the conversations, I don't appreciate some of the context, the posts are still is being left on the forum - no worries.
I've only been here a month and I've already learned that this is one of those forums where it's best to choose my words carefully. Not for fear of having my posts removed, but for fear of having them disregarded and/or becoming a "persona non grata".

I'll admit to some of my first posts being on the negative side, but that stemmed directly from the disappointment of discovering that both Rockler and NWA participate so little here. I was led to believe otherwise (intentionally or not) by both Tim Owens and the Rockler representative at the WIA conference. Before meeting them and purchasing my machine I had never heard of this forum and had no opinion of it at all, and it would have definitely been better if my expectations had not been set so high. But, I'm a big boy, and I've adjusted to that now. I still don't understand it, but I've adjusted to it.

Furthermore, I think both Rockler and NWA should worry far more about potential customers reading through the forum and seeing how little they participate, and how many questions are going unanswered. Any "negative" comments from forum members can't possibly do as much damage than that.

One recent example, the delivery schedule for the new HD. Like most folks would be, those of us who have ordered these machines are eagerly awaiting their arrival. Yet, we have had to rely on heresay and rumor for information on what's going on. I was not contacted by anyone on Nov. 1st (as promised), and when I called the Rockler store a week later I was told that maybe they'll be shipping this week but "don't hold me to that, because I'm not really sure". And apparently, others have been given different information.

Certainly someone at Rockler knows exactly what's going on with these machines (perhaps Al Wolford?), and how hard would it have been to drop in here and fill us in. That would not only put our minds at ease, it would show EVERYONE reading that they actually care about customer service. So much benefit from so little effort. I just don't get it.

jeb2cav wrote:
... And when your idea isn't acted on - take it up with the vendor and distributor - directly is my recommendation.
It's obvious to me that many members believe that when they post here they are, in effect, taking things up directly with the vendor and distributor. That could be because they've been told that, or the fact that the banner on every page says "presented by ROCKLER"

John

Joraft

Post by Joraft »

jeb2cav wrote:
Your characterization of the forum may be your view of the world - idk. It's too bad, but not something that you'll be talked out of I think.
Not the world, just my view of this forum. Talked out of? There's no reason my viewpoint shouldn't change if the circumstances do.

jeb2cav wrote:
Frankly, it sounds to me like you really are unhappy, and may want to start over with some other product. It is what it is - whether it's participation, what you've been told at a show, etc. You've been more than energetic taking time to type, why don't you call Rockler and ask the same questions if you're not getting the answer here.
As I said earlier, after my initial disappointment, I adjusted to the reality. I also said that I did call Rockler, and couldn't get a definite answer.

jeb2cav wrote:
... I don't know how you get the feeling that you're directly communicating with Rockler or NWA - even though it says presented. My opinion - and again it is my own and my own experience, is when I read through this forum, it is mostly users.
What I said was that it's obvious by reading some posts that those members think that. I know better. I came to exactly the same conclusion as you, very soon after arrriving and reading through the forum.

jeb2cav wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the disregarding or the persona non grata. How can that occur if your posts aren't being deleted? Do you really think I wouldn't respond to a question you may have in the future just because I think some of your posts thus far have no merit and are mis-directed?
To me, disregarding posts means ignoring them, not deleting them. As for what you would do, I can't really say, I don't know you that well. From what I've seen so far, you appear to be reasonable (for the most part ;) ), knowledgable, and very helpful. But you seem to have big issues with what (some) others say.

jeb2cav wrote:
And I don't want to be told that my next purchase will be $200-$1000 more just because "we're improving support and activity on the forum."
Sorry, Joe, this one makes no sense to me. Part of my disappointment when I first came here was in comparing it to so many other product-specific forums I've seen on the Net. They are set up (hosted, sponsored, presented by, or whatever) by manufacturers or distributors because they have proven to be the most cost effective way to get a lot of good information out to customers very quickly. Announcing a potential problem, a known solution, or shipping date once online costs nothing compared to fielding hundreds of individual phone calls on the same subject.

I can't see how offering more efficient support would cause the price of a product to rise.
John

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

Joe.

You are a very frequent poster here, and offer as much help as you can at a moments notice.
About 4 times as many posts as NWA and Rockler if I am not mistaken. So IMHO your sincerity can not, and should not, be questioned.
I am happy that you have had good results from the machine and the manufacturer. At times you make us aware of things much sooner than they do.

When someone has a comment or observation on the machine that is not positive, or is observing something that concerns them, it should not taken as an insult or become personal unless the comments are over the line personal attacks. I have seen good forums go bad because of this, and would like it to stop here before it becomes a lose - lose situation.
jeb2cav wrote:You've been more than energetic taking time to type, why don't you call Rockler and ask the same questions if you're not getting the answer here.
He did call Rockler, and did not get an answer. he is reporting what he observed.

It is disturbing to me that when someone has a concern about the product, or the service, a few others here make personal comments about the writer.
John's view is that of a typical customer who visited a show, bought the product, is waiting for delivery, and gave his opinion as he saw it. He said he was happy with his decision, but would like more visibility from the manufacturer. I think that is valid, and I personally agree with him, you are free to disagree. This is valuable feedback which is trying to let the manufacturer and others know what he observed, how he felt, and open the issue for agreement and disagreement with the issue. Not with the person. Not many have jumped in so we really don't know what the general opinion is here with such a small sample.
jeb2cav wrote:Frankly, it sounds to me like you really are unhappy, and may want to start over with some other product
He never said that and is anxiously awaiting his new machine.. I don't hear him as being unhappy.. He really wants his new purchase, which I understand.
jeb2cav wrote:I think some of your posts thus far have no merit and are mis-directed
Your opinion, granted. Others may disagree with you there. But lets not make this personal, OK?
jeb2cav wrote:I think the recent release of the Control Panel should've been present last year. I think the doc is terrible,
This is a valid comment, not personal, and should not reflect badly on you. I can't comment on what effort was required for the control panel, but agree about the docs for sure.
jeb2cav wrote:I don't want to be told that my next purchase will be $200-$1000 more just because "we're improving support and activity on the forum."
Good customer service should not add to costs? It should reduce them by preventive elimination of problems in both design and service.

If Rockler or NWA deleted posts from the forum, it would be immediately pointed out and that would do more damage than the deletions.
The forum would be regarded as not credible. It is for us adults to sort out what we hear. if a poster has an urgent and upset tone, it may be that he is in the midst of a perturbing problem with his machine, and panic is about to set in. I see these as more of a "cry for help" than product bashing. But thats just me...

I don't think John is worried about being "persona non grata" with Rockler or NWA, but with his fellow members of the forum. Lets not let that happen.

I was told by a very wise friend. "For every over-reaction there is a greater and opposite over-reaction."

Lets chill and keep the forum a great place for Shark people.. OK?

Bob

Joraft

Post by Joraft »

jeb2cav wrote:
That's funny - I don't have an issue with your opinion beyond I disagree. Good luck.
I opined on a few subjects, not sure with which you disagree. Perhaps ALL. :D

If you're thinking that I just keep beating the same old dead horse, please note that I voiced my initial disappoinment with certain things a while back, then I shut up. I truly don't enjoy being a whiner (or moaner).

I actually got riled up all over again, after trying for a week to find out exactly what's going on with the delivery of my machine. Several phone calls to lots of nice, polite people, and I still know nothing. Obviously I can't base my opinions on how well Rockler treats you, but on how they treat me. And being that this is a forum for the product I'm waiting for, and a forum "presented" by Rockler, I can think of no better place to do my ranting.
John