Registration Key Not Being Saved

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

TKWoodCrafts

Registration Key Not Being Saved

Post by TKWoodCrafts »

Hi all form members,
I am posting this question to anyone who is having the problem of the registration key not being saved. The problem I'm having is if the Shark control panel is started prior to plugging in the USB cable from the control box, it tells me that I need to register my software, even after I entered the Registration Key the last time I used the software. I use a laptop computer that isn't always plugged into the control box. The same thing happens if I unplug the USB cable with the control panel open, I have to close the control panel and then reopen the control panel after I plug the USB cable back in. Can someone try this with their system and see if the same thing happens to them.

It would be nice if I could load a VCarve file into the control panel without having to be plugged into the control box so I could check how long my VCarve files would take to carve because they never match and I can't find an accurate setting in VCarve Pro. I have to take my laptop from my home to my shop to load the files to see exactly what my Shark run time is going to be.

Thanks for any help with these matters.
Tim

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Registration Key Not Being Saved

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Tim,

I get the same outcome - if the control box is not connected with the computer and turned on, I get the registration nag screen - even though it is registered and I don't get this screen when the control box is connected and powered on when I start the Shark Control Panel.

With regard to the timing - I don't disagree about being able to use it stand alone after registered. However, I find myself using the same cutters in the same material mostly, and I've adjusted the time presented to me in VCarve / Aspire using the Scale Factor. If you look in the Estimated Machining Time panel in the Toolpaths tab, you'll find this. It's never exactly the same, but I've found with a little tweaking you can get within a minute or certainly 5% of the total time.

I'm in the same use condition as you are - 'take the tap file out' to the shop.

Buc

Post by Buc »

Tim,

Attachment shows the error message I'm getting after running the control panel. Joe from the forum here and Dana from NWA are working with me on this.
Attachments
notregistered
notregistered
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

TKWoodCrafts

Post by TKWoodCrafts »

Today I worked on solving my problem. Since I use my laptop in my office and don't turn the laptop off when I plug it into the Shark control box, I found that as long as I plug in the USB cable and then turn on the Shark control box I do not get the Register this Software screen. This is definitely easier then having to restart the laptop every time I plug in the Shark.

Joe, I know what you are saying about the scale factor and I tried using that, my problem is I use multiple bits with different speeds and different plunge depths on the same plaques. One scale factor may work fine for one bit but not the others. When trying to quote a customer for pricing I need to know more exact run times, considering some plaques may take up to five hours run time. What I'd like to do is have my Shark running from my laptop and be able to go into the office and design another project and be able to check the run time on the computer in my office. This would save me a lot of time when I have to check files with the Shark plugged in and not actually doing any work. Time is money!!

How do other members feel about this?
Tim

DickL

Post by DickL »

Hi
Is it possible that NWA is saving the registration info in the shark control box rather than on the computer. It seems that would create the problem your having. The same thing happens on my shark ( the 13X24 machine ). Without having the control box plugged into the computer, the control panel won't do anything except tell you that the cable needs to be plugged in.

DickL

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Tim,

I understand. For what it's worth, I've sent this in to NWA as a future capability - ie once registered, you don't have to have the control box plugged in in order to not see the nag screen. We'll see what they do.

Dick,

The registration is not saved on the control box. However, it is tied to a given control box - the electronics has an id on it of sorts.

DickL

Post by DickL »

Hi
I'm not sure if or why anyone would want to, but is it possible to run more than one shark from the same PC? I wonder if NWA has ever tried?

DickL

Avenroot

Post by Avenroot »

Hi All,

This is a great discussion and brings up some interesting points.

First off... currently the software supports only connecting to one controller. You can install the software on several computers but can only connect to one controller box (per registration). Connecting to multiple controllers on the same PC is something we will discuss.

The idea of the registration not coming up when launching the software and not connected to the controller is something I will look into. I can see how that can be a pain.

TKWoodCrafts

Post by TKWoodCrafts »

Hi Dana,
Thank you for taking the time to look into this.
I would really appreciate it if Next Wave could look into being able to load cut files into the control panel without having to be plugged into the control box. This way I could look at the cut times in the office so I could schedule a more productive work schedule. I have tried using the scale factor in VCarve but due to the multiple bit changes I use I can not come up with an accurate scale for every cut.
Thank you for your time.
Tim