Carving Not in Proportion

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

byrank

Carving Not in Proportion

Post by byrank »

My carvings are coming out with the X/Y proportion distorted. I calculate that the X-axis is about 80% of the Y-axis. The attached photo shows a design that is supposed to be a circle but ends up being oval. I suspect that the stepper control jumpers on the Xylotex board may be set incorrectly. Does anybody have any experience with such an issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Byran
Starbucks.JPG

SPH01

Re: Carving Not in Proportion

Post by SPH01 »

Read the signs post below yours. Run the X and Y over a ruler without a router bit and see if its the stepper setting or loose set screws on the steppers as has been a problem on here.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

Is this a shark, Pro, Plus or HD?
Put the X to one side zero it and run to the other side and let me know what it reads?
Do the same for the X.

byrank

Post by byrank »

I belive the unit is a Shark and is about 5 years old. I bought it used so I am not exactly sure. I get a total travel as follows:

X: 16.5
Y: 23.75

Let me know if that helps diagnose the problem. If it was a physical (binding) issue I figure it would not carve so consistently dis-proportianate. Carvings look good and the detail is there, just looks like Y is running slightly faster than X.

Thanks for any help!

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

Ok. So you are not using a usb you are using a parallel port using Mach 3 correct?
If this is so you have the Z steps off. you need to change them by about 30%.

Let me know if you have any questions.
you can also contact me at towens@nextwaveautomation.com

Thanks
Tim

byrank

Post by byrank »

Tim,

I am using an old Xylotex board with a new ncPod USB board that I re-built into a new enclosure. I am using the latest Control Panel software recently downloaded from the New Wave website. I am not using Mach3 at all.

Thanks for your help!

Byran

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

Well you are dealing with a mixture of couple of differnt Techs there. We might have to do some tinkering with your setup.
Can you give support a call at 419-491-4520.
We will get it straightened out.
Thanks

Tim

byrank

Post by byrank »

Thanks to NWA for their great support. After talking with somebody I was able to troubleshoot a number of issues and I finally have my Shark working perfectly. Thanks again guys - it's a great product with knowledge and support to back it up!