New Machine in and I'm already in trouble

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Eagle55

New Machine in and I'm already in trouble

Post by Eagle55 »

Got the new machine in this afternoon and i'm already struggling.

First problem: Ran Vcredist.exe ~ Installed the latest control panel (1.5.0.21.exe) Then installed VCarve 6.0 from disc that came with machine.
Got down to saving the post processor files to :c:\Program Files (x86)\VCarve Pro 5.5\PostP\ (had to create the subdirector PostP) and it wouldn't let me save it there. Said I didn't have authority. As far as I know I am the administrator/user on this computer (only user). This is Windows 7 Home Premium. Did the same thing on the little netbook that I plan to actually use at the machine and it went fine. I guess I'm ok for now but would also like to have this large laptop as a full back up that I could carve with in the event the other one is down. What do I need to do for this problem?

Second problem: I downloaded the free trial version a couple of days ago and started designing my first job. Got three pieces ready to generate code, however, when I started to open it the 6.0 version won't open the file designed in 6.5. I have already taken the trial 6.5 off by uninstalling. Is there any way to recover my design without starting all over or am I just screwed on this one?

I know this is more a set of problems for tech service but hey..... got a new toy and I would love to have everything going tonight if I could. I know thats not likely to happen at this hour now, but thought I would see if anyone could help.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

SPH01

Re: New Machine in and I'm already in trouble

Post by SPH01 »

If you installed the VCarve that came with the machine it should have asked to get updated and then to would be 6.5.
I uninstalled ALL my trial software before I installed the DVD copy.
If you saved the design (CRV file) you should be able to open it with the licensed program and then save it with the post processor (TAP file)
I'm working my CRV files on my desktop and then cutting with the laptop but I have all the programs on both computers (windows 7/64 pro)

Did you get your .25 bit?

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Discovered the update feature a few minutes ago. Updated and all is well with the reading of old files. Whew, I had a fair amount of work in this gun rack and glad I didn't loose it. It out putted to .tap file, gonna go air cut it and see if I have everything done right. I set up the little laptop last night and could jog the motors, updated the firmware and other wise tested the set up and programs in the shop. Just need to stick the router motor in place.

Answer to your question
: No, the .25 spiral cut router is en-route but still a couple or few days away. Probably need that time to work up courage before I do a thru cut with tabs anyway LOL Pretty sure I have a 1/4" straight flute router but wasn't sure what the difference would be in the operation.

Another easy question: am I correct in what I read or heard somewhere that the outlet on the back of the controller is for the router and switches on and off automatically or did I dream that? Cant find it yet in any of the instructions.

Roger

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Roger,

The outlet on the back of the Enhanced Control Box is in fact for the router, and will turn it 'on/off' for you when you hit Run.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Thanks Joe! I am getting soooo anxious to go out and make this think move, just want to make sure everything is right and somewhat understood before I cut into a clamp or something. Also, I answered question 1 from my original post from some hints that I found on one of your post answering something similar for someone else. I really do try to absorb knowledge from the forum, but last night I was anxious. I think I am right on the edge of running my first piece in air first then maybe in pine...... I'm feeling the tingle ha ha ha hope it doesn't turn into a sharp twinge .

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Well, an update to struggling last night. With a little updating and learning how to bypass the windows 7 security for putting files in places it doesn't like to have files put from the internet (thanks to one of Joe's post I come across), I finally got my ducks in a row. Transferred the tap file to my netbook at the machine via the network ~ ran an air cut with no router or bit just to see that the machine and I seemed to speak the same language and I was ready for some scrap wood. Indexed on 0,0,0 and ran it. Now don't laugh at the results, I know its not all that much or that great, but the key thing is that it did what I thought i was supposed to and where I thought it was supposed to do it. Eagle turned out a little crappy, but I think the solution for that is going to be to use a 60 or even 30 degree v bit for it, otherwise my first carve didn't go to badly. Didn't cut a clamp, gouge the deck or smoke a motor.... gotta call that a success! All that is left is to learn how to fluently speak CNC. Thanks for the help. So far I'm well satisfied with getting my first piece of wood cut within 24 hours of the machine arriving.
Attachments
SDC13085.JPG

Joraft

Post by Joraft »

Eagle55 wrote:
... Now don't laugh at the results, I know its not all that much or that great, but the key thing is that it did what I thought i was supposed to and where I thought it was supposed to do it.

... All that is left is to learn how to fluently speak CNC.
Well, I for one am impressed, but of course I've not cut anything yet. :D

As for learning about CNC, several people have recommended this book to me, it's still on the way so I can't comment on it personally yet: The CNC Cookbook
John