Need help setting up the new shark hd

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

timber

Need help setting up the new shark hd

Post by timber »

I have the new shark hd and need help with it and lots of it. First what programs do I need.
PhotoVCarve is one I need for sure.
Corel Draw Graphies Suite x5 or Premium suite x5 full version or Corel CAD
I only have a desk top computer so I need a lap top right. What programs do I need for it.
I was told I could work on the desk top and down load them to a file but what programs do I need on the lap top to do that.

saramos

Re: Need help setting up the new shark hd

Post by saramos »

If you plan on using phots to create reliefs, there's PhotoVcarve from Vetric, or there's 123D Catch free from Autodesk. Of course, the Shark comes with Vcarve Pro. You can create original 2D graphics with Vcarve to start with and get cutting right away. Other applications really depend on what you want to do. For full on 3D models, some of the choices would be 123D from Autodesk and Google Sketchup for free, or AutoCad, Alibre, Solidworks, or Aspire. In addition, you would need 3DCut to create the toolpaths if you use any other 3D app outside of Aspire. For more advanced 2D applications, choices include Illustrator or Corel for graphic arts oriented apps, or any variety of CAD applications for creating componets.

As for the computer, a laptop is not strictly required. You can use a desktop. It's just that a lot of people like to use a secondary computer for running the Shark when they don't want to move their main computer out to their workshop. If you do want to use a second computer to run your Shark, the choice of a desktop or laptop is just a matter of what you want.

Personally, I have Corel. I've been a Corel user for about 20 years. My first version of Corel I ran on a 286 computer running Windows 286. Of course, I have VCarve Pro, and I also purchased 3DCut. I've not yet used 3DCut. For 3D, I have Alibre and have downloaded 123D. For my particular needs, I'm considering Solidworks, but will have to save for a while to afford it. I downloaded 123D Catch last week, but have not tried it out yet. I hope to this week. I also use a dedicated desktop computer to run my Shark. It's just an older P4 computer. I started out with a fresh install of XP and outside of antivirus, I loaded Word, Excel, and Vcarve. I have no other applications on this machine. I do all my graphics on my main computer in the house. I created a shared folder for transfering files out to my Shark computer as I have both on my home network.

Hope this helps,

Scott

timber

Post by timber »

thank you for your insite. But still a little lost, would corel draw or corel cad be better to get or premium suite. I wish to carve faces in to wood.

saramos

Post by saramos »

If you are going to be carving faces, PhotoVcarve is the best program for you. You will not need Corel CAD. It's more for engineering and drafting. Corel Draw X5 suite will have two applications that could be useful. Corel Draw can be used for 2D grahics in vector format, and Corel Photo-Paint can be used for editing photgraphs. Both these programs will require a fair amount of time to learn and become proficient.

I use Corel Photo-Paint for editing, re-sizing, and retouching photgraphs and scanned images. It works on bitmap graphics such as .bmp, .jpg and .png This can be useful if you want to do things like isolate just a face in a photo.
I use Corel Draw for things like brochures, flyers, and other non-photo type graphics. Also, while not a CAD program, it can be used for doing basic CAD type drawings. I use it in this way to draw plans for radio control scale model aircraft. It would be useful for you to do things like creating borders and adding text.

Even if you have Corel, you will need Vcarve pro and/or PhotoVcarve to create the instructions (gcode) that run the Shark.

Hopefully this will be a bit clearer as to the applications and their uses.

Scott

saramos

Post by saramos »

I think I didn't totally understand what you were asking. If you were asking about the difference between Corel Draw X5 Suite and Corel Draw X5 Premium Suite and Corel CAD, I would say Corel Draw X5 suite.
It looks like what is added to the Premium Suite is support for web creation. The Corel CAD, as I said is more designed for engineering and drafting. The regular graphics suite is the best choice between the three for use with the Shark.

Scott

Joseph147

Post by Joseph147 »

OK- I am new right out of the box!
But- my first issue is that I created a file. It looks to be correct. But- when I cut it - it is only about 1/2' in total length not the designed 24". By looking very closely I believe the file cut correctly but did not cut the large size. I designed another file and it did the same thing. I must have a setting wrong somewhere. I hope this is an easy change but don't know where to start. Can anyone help? Thx

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi,

The 'wrong size' in carving is probably the result of not using the correct post processor when you generate the tap file. You may be choosing another vendor's post processor, or perhaps the mm version of the Shark post processor.

If you haven't already, I'd strongly encourage you to work your way through the VCarve Pro tutorials. Watch them once, second time follow along, stopping the video as needed, and then the third time no video - see if you have learned how the software works.

Once you do that, you'll have enough basics down to then read posts about/try your hand on carving lithographs or 'faces' - and the response you'll get/the post you're reading will make sense (or at least more sense).

The tutorials are on the installation dvd, and also available from the Vectric web site.

You can find a discussion and more details on the CNC Shark post processors on the NWA Downloads page.