CNCShark-USB_Arcs_inch

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BobA

CNCShark-USB_Arcs_inch

Post by BobA »

This is embarrassing. I have Cut3D installed on 3 computers in my home with XP and Vista operating systems. I had no problems getting CNCShark-USB_Arcs_inch post processor installed. I just recently purchased a laptop and desktop with windows 7. So far I am unable to get Cut3D to use CNCShark-USB_Arcs_inch. I have the file in the Cut3D/PostP directory.
Can someone tell me how to get 3D to recognize the correct Post?

Thanks.
Bob

Kryptik

Re: CNCShark-USB_Arcs_inch

Post by Kryptik »

'ello

I'm running Windows 7 64, had #d installed but never used, so didn't have the processor installed.
With Cut 3D open, I copied the mm arcs file from my download directory, went to the cut 3D directory in c:/program files(x86), opened the pp directory and pasted it. Went back and forth from the toolpath menu and it wasn't there, closed Cut 3D totally and restarted, loaded a file and went through all the steps, and the CNC Shark option was then visible.

I hope there's something there that may help :)

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: CNCShark-USB_Arcs_inch

Post by jeb2cav »

Win 7 is pretty sensitive to files that are downloaded from the web, and even email attachments. I've noticed this more and more recently in applications like Word where I get a message saying this is a foreign file, do you really want to edit it, or just read it.

There have been posts where someone is trying to download the post processor from the NWA Downloads page directly to the /PostP folder. This definitely will result in not being able to 'see' the downloaded postp file in the post processor list as this file is blocked by the operating system.

As Kryptik points out is his post, he downloaded the files to a known location - sounds like he is using the default /Download folder in Win7. He then copies the file to the desired /Postp folder.

If you don't 'see' it in Cut3D for example at that point, right click on the file in Windows Explorer, select Properties, and then the General tab. Click on the 'Unblock' button, and then hit 'Apply', and lastly 'OK' to close this panel. Open Cut3D and you should now 'see' the post processor in the list.

The example in the picture is for PhotoVCarve, but the action is the same for all Vectric products and the postp not being 'seen'. Again, this is a Win7 security thing. (This is also a screen grab from a 64bit machine, so instead of 'C:\Program Files\...' it says 'C:\Program Files (x86)\...')
Win7 Unblock File
Win7 Unblock File
And just in case some other folks read through this and try to 'look' for the /PostP folder for VCarvePro or Aspire on a Vista or Win7 box, I'll repost my notes on Shark Post Processors and installing them here (for what it's worth):

You should initially save the post processor file(s) to a location on your disk that you will remember. This is typically in a folder in your /My Documents. Once you have saved it there, copy the downloaded file to the appropriate Vectric application /PostP folder. You should not attempt to copy the post processor directly from the Downloads page to the specific /PostP folder on disk. On many Vista and most Win 7 operating systems, this will result in a failure in the ability for the Vectric application to use the CNC Shark post processor file. In addition, most current anti-virus/internet security applications will block you from attempting to copy directly from the Downloads page to the specific /PostP folder on disk.

VCarve Pro/Aspire/Cut3D Post Processors and Installation

The following post processors are for use with VCarve Pro (version 3.1 and higher), Aspire (version 2.0 and higher) and Cut3D (only):

CNCShark-USB_Arcs_inch (Updated 09/08/2010)
CNCShark-USB_Arcs_mm (Updated 09/08/2010)

CUT3D
The /PostP folder for Cut3D is located in C:\Program Files\Cut3D\PostP in both WinXP, Vista and Win 7 systems

VCarve Pro v5.5 and Earlier
The /PostP folder for VCarve Pro v5.5 and earlier is located in C:\Program Files\VCarve Pro\V5.5\PostP.
- For versions previous to v5.5, the folder name ‘V5.5’ will reflect that version. For example, VCarve Pro v5.0 - \V5.0\PostP

Aspire 2.5 and Earlier
The /PostP folder for Aspire v2.5 and earlier is located in C:\Program Files\Aspire\V2.5\PostP

VCarve Pro v6.0 and Later – WinXP Operating System
The /PostP folder for VCarve Pro v6.0 and later is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Vectric\VCarve Pro\V6.0\PostP
- For versions later than v6.0, the folder name ‘V6.0’ will reflect that version. For example, VCarve Pro v6.5 - \V6.5\PostP

Aspire 3.0 and Later – WinXP Operating System
The /PostP folder for Aspire 3.0 and later is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Vectric\Aspire\V3.0\PostP
- For versions later than v3.0, the folder name ‘V3.0’ will reflect that version. For example, Aspire v3.5 - \V3.5\PostP

VCarve Pro v6.0 and Later – Vista and Win 7 Operating Systems
The /PostP folder for VCarve Pro v6.0 and later is located in C:\Program Data\Vectric\VCarve Pro\V6.0\PostP
- For versions later than v6.0, the folder name ‘V6.0’ will reflect that version. For example, VCarve Pro v6.5 - \V6.5\PostP

Aspire 3.0 and Later – Vista and Win 7 Operating Systems
The /PostP folder for Aspire 3.0 and later is located in C:\Program Data\Vectric\Aspire\V3.0\PostP
- For versions later than 3.0, the folder name ‘V3.0’ will reflect that version. For example, Aspire v3.5 - \V3.5\PostP

Photo VCarve Post Processors and Installation

The following post processors are for use with Photo VCarve (only)

CNC Shark-USB_inch (Updated 11/29/2010)
CNC Shark-USB_mm (Updated 11/29/2010)

The /PostP folder for Photo VCarve is located in C:\Program Files\PhotoVCarve\PostP in both WinXP, Vista and Win 7 systems

64 bit OS (Win XP/Vista/Win7)

For all locations listed above that begin with 'C:\Program Files\...' - on a 64 bit system this will be 'C:\Program Files (x86)\...'

VCarve Pro 6.0 (and newer) and Aspire 3.0 (and newer) Note

The locations listed above refer to default installation settings. Another way you can determine the location of your VCarve Pro 6.0 (and newer) and Aspire 3.0 (and newer) Application Data folder is to select File, Open Application Data Folder. This will open the Application Data folder in a Windows Explorer window.
VCarve Pro 6_5 Open Application Data Folder
VCarve Pro 6_5 Open Application Data Folder

Hope this helps and clears up what is hopefully a minor security step on a Win7 box.