QUESTION about BITS

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

norseman

QUESTION about BITS

Post by norseman »

Howdy Sharkers!

I’m Stan, I work at Rockler in the Tech Department: I have a question for you, I know that we do not carry the greatest selection of bits to use with the shark and I would like some input as to what bits you would want to see Rockler carry. I was thinking that it would be nice to have a selection of Ball end mills and straight two flute end mills in ¼” and ½” shank...

:idea: Any suggestion, comments, or info as to size or other bits would be great….

Stan –
Rockler Tech Services

Loudspeakerboy

Re: QUESTION about BITS

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

Amana..

lanceputnam

Post by lanceputnam »

1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 upcut spirals in 1/4 and 1/2 shanks (both solid carbide and HSS)
1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 downcut spirals in 1/4 and 1/2 shanks (both solid carbide and HSS)
A decent engraving bit
60, 90, and 120 deg v-grooves in 1/4 and 1/2 shanks
For sure some ball-ends in both size shanks
Perhaps carry some replacement high precision collets for the popular routers as well
Possible also sell those kits that have a shank with an indexible insert on it (I cant remember what they are called)

async4

Post by async4 »

Hi Stan, How about stocking extra long bits, in 1/4 and 1/2 shanks, V-Bit, and endmills, for thicker wood.

Larry Stobbs

Post by Larry Stobbs »

Stan, I get a lot of my bits from precisebits.com as they carry a lot of 1/8 and 1/4 bits including ball and end mills, tapered ball nose and engraving bits in a variety of angles. I do buy some bits from Rockler including the keyhole bits and some of the 1/4 V-bits. The one I wish you sold individually was in a kit that you had to buy all three bits (signmaking kit) and it would be nice if you offered each of the bits in that kit individually. I think that if Rockler at least offered some of the basic end ills and ball end mills, they would sell, I just dont know if you would have much luck with a lot of the small specialized bits.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I affirm most all of the recommendations made so far. I am a dedicated Rockler customer and was a little disappointed that there were virtually no bits that I wanted when I got started buying. Have had to comb the post for recommended bits and suppliers. I am a little surprised that Rockler hadn't seen the market for these bits sooner.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

fison

Post by fison »

I want to second Lance's recommendations. I use mostly solid carbide from Whiteside bits for 90% of my cutting I use their 60V, 1/8" & 1/4" end mills in 1/4 shank. I also use a 1/16" ballnose carving bit that I got from Sears that was intended for their CarveWright system.
Paul Fison
Tacoma, Washington, USA
(253) 925-0855

Peter

Post by Peter »

I would like to see a selection of 1/4" shanks with 1/16, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 1/4. Each of these should have ball, flat end mill and taper ball selections. A varied cutting length is desirerable. This link http://www.beckwithdecor.com/index_files/Cutters.htm has some excellent ball taper end mills, if they had similar straight flat end mills they would be miles ahead.
Pete

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

Add a set of drill bit sizes with all having a 1/4 shank

norseman

Post by norseman »

Thanks for everyone’s input, I will compile a list and forward it to those who can get the ball rolling.

:)

Stan -