Pricing

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Dash

Pricing

Post by Dash »

Glenn Debbie Welcome Sign.bmp
Okay, Ladies and Gentlemen...
Some of you may not want to answer this.. I won't hold a grudge if you do not...
Yea, machine time is between $45 and $60 bucks per hour depending. Point blank, this sign is a very basic and the only thing you do not see is I have made a "frame" approx. 3/4 in. by 1 1/4 in. to cover the ugly sides and it dresses the sign up quite nicely. I really did not get my Shark for sign making but, as another source of income (as all of you), I'll do anything. What should this basic deal go for? it measures 24in by 24 in... Please keep in mind, I spent about 15 minutes setting the text and such... You all would have spent two minutes!!
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dash

Kryptik

Re: Pricing

Post by Kryptik »

Hey Dash
Not knowing if there is a back story, friends, chance of further business etc...
It's a commercial sign, nicely done, time for spraying and sanding, or whatever method you use to highlight.(I use an airbrush and model acrylics, you wouldn't believe how far they go !), all this AND a frame :)
Here in OZ, I'd be looking at $130.00+, without any fear that they would get it done anywhere else cheaper, especially with the graphics.
Don't sell yourself short, or undervalue your own time. There is a series of YouTube videos by someone called Old Dave over there, one of his latest is how to price a sign. Haven't watched it, it just flagged up in a mail.Probably more pertinent to your local market.

Cheers
Marc

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

If you want a true market value you need to figure in the total cost of the carving.

How much did the bit(s) cost divided by their life time.. a 1/16 ball end mill cost me $29 plus shipping $6.00 for $35 I can expect to get about 50 hours out of it using oak less for epay more for foam

How much for the wood

Cost of Art work? If I buy something the first carving pays for 50% of it each carving after that 10% If it's something I drew myself I I base it on time and if I will ever use it again. A lithograph pays full price for the art.

And last machine time. Cost of the machine devided by life of the machine (5 years or 43,000 hours) plus the cost of utilities.

All said and done I value my carvings between $90 to $150 per hour of carve time.

RobieMo

Post by RobieMo »

A long time ago I saw someone post this formula as a starting point. Maybe it will help you???

Setup of machine = $10.00
Each tool used = $10.00/tool
Run time = $10.00/hour
Design = $10.00/hour
Materials = ???
Finish = ??? (What is your time worth)

This formula might work for very basic signs? Let me know what you come up with.

Stay Safe,
Rob

Dash

Post by Dash »

Hello All!!!!
Thanks or the replies and words of advice. I have looked at pricing by machine time and finished product "looks" and I with what I have read from you, I am in the ball park. I figured $130 before the borders. Yea its for a guy who ownes a Custom Boot making shop where I am able to sell products I am making and the customers of his has the dough.. (hence a basic pair of handmade boots start out at $600.00 and his customers are country wide). I will not charge him but, I will get a few bones or beers as the case may have it!!
I appreciate your honesty and math. Always different ways of thinking and I welcome other opinions.
Kryptic, a Fosters for you!! Words we all must live and work by..." Don't sell yourself short or undervalue your own time."

Be cool,
Dash