Cutting cast acrylic

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

lanceputnam

Cutting cast acrylic

Post by lanceputnam »

Whats everyone using to cut cast acrylic? I have seen the o cut end mills but can you just use the standard up or down cut end mills? Thanks.

fixtureman

Re: Cutting cast acrylic

Post by fixtureman »

I use a Vortex low helix 4500 series bits

Kryptik

Re: Cutting cast acrylic

Post by Kryptik »

To actually cut, I use a 1/8 solid carbide spiral plastic cut bit...
Part No. TSPR 04 S at http://www.carbitool.com.au , it will give you the idea.
For carving, a 2 or 3 flute 60 degree bit, 22 degree for very fine work, but it's a real bitch to not loose the point..
Remember, Acrylic needs very sharp tooling to work properly, and it dulls the edges quickly. Not enough to notice by feel or eye, but enough to suddenly have to spend an hour picking melted plastic out of the grooves.
Oh, and 30,000 RPM not good for plastic, goes all melty from friction, between 12,000 and 20,000 is the sweet spot. Not sure what number that is on the American Colts, we don't have the speed control on ours.
*Edit*
1 I forgot, until I just reached for it, is an Edge Round Cutter, 1/4 diameter single flute. Carbitool part number TSPER 08 S. It's sole purpose in life is to smooth and round over the edge of plastic after you have cut it.
It leaves a lovely edge on 3mm acrylic. The trick is to be able to present the acrylic edge to the cutter precisely. After getting an Incra LS Positioner, cheering. Before, not so much...tap, clamp, check..tap, clamp..check..