Which Bits for Newbie?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

recrisp

Which Bits for Newbie?

Post by recrisp »

I am wondering what would be a good pick for bits for a newbie that has a Shark Pro Plus, or, any Shark... (I have the machine, it's just not up and running yet, not until some other stuff gets taken care of)
There is a bit that comes with it, I am told, (V-bit?) but I still need to buy some bits that will get me started.
With that said, I just need the bare minimum really, and it doesn't have to be a Rockler brand. (They were actually out of some that I asked about anyway at my store)
Even if it's an online store, that is fine, or, Lowes, (U.S., I'm in Texas) or, any place that is considered a place to get a good deal, for a good quality product.

If it helps, I'll mainly be using this on plastics, acrylics and engravers stuff, some wood, and detail is what I am mainly concerned about, all of my stuff will be in the range of 10" or so, or smaller, mostly.
(I'll be going with Aspire probably as I get to know my machine better, (baby steps) but I'm just going with the included basic stuff right now, (program and bits) but in time, I hope to be doing quite a bit of 3-D stuff)

Thanks for any help, it'll be a few days before I need them, so ordering might be an option.

Randy

recrisp

Re: Which Bits for Newbie?

Post by recrisp »

Let me reword this... :)

Which bits did you buy when you first got your Shark?

Thank you!

Randy

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Randy - I don't cut a lot of plastics. If you do a search on the key words "plastic bit" at vectric dot com you will find relevant information.

My choice for starter bits woudl be:

V Bits 90 degree, 1/2"diameter

1/8" and 1/4" diameter standard end mills.

Ed

recrisp

Post by recrisp »

Thanks Ed, I didn't think at all about asking over at Vetric... heh
Thanks also for the ones you mentioned, although I try to read and understand all that I read, some stuff just doesn't soak in, and those choices of yours make sense to me.
I guess I thought that since it's not 100% Shark over there that the answers might be more for a larger router maybe, I don't know what I thought... heheh
(From what I remember, I think with (thermo) plastics, almost any bit will work as long as it's sharp and you go the correct speed)

I really do appreciate your time in answering my questions, I'll check out what they have to say there. :)

Randy

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Randy - I think the material you want to cut is more of a factor in selecting bits than the machine you are running. Clearly there are bits somenone could recommend that wouldn't work on the shark (e.g. requiring a 1/2" shank), but you're unlikely to get any of that in response to a "bits for beginners" question.

You will defnitely find a larger population of people cutting plastics (and who are willing to respond to posts) over on the Vectric site. This site is probably still a better choice for shark specific questions.

Ed

Buc

Post by Buc »

Randy,

Here is a snipping tool list of my tool list from Aspire. (see attachment) Im a wood carver and signist.

The web site is one place I get bits. If I want to go to Buffalo, N.Y. I go to the Rockler store. If I want to go to Cleveland, OH, I go to Eagle America outlet store. Also have ordered online from both. Depends who's got what on sale. Free or cheap shipping.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/100 ... ve_forming
Buc
tool bit list.PNG
(10.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

recrisp

Post by recrisp »

Ed,

I think that with what you have given me already is probably enough, I trust your judgment on that stuff, in time, hopefully a short time, I'll be able to 'know' what I need, and why.
One of the best ways to learn (for me) is to try it, and if it goofs up, "Oh well..." heh
I won't be using good wood or plastic right off the bat anyway at first, and as long as I crash it bad, I shouldn't really hurt anything.
Anyway, that's how I see it, if I am screwing up, please let me know. heheh

Thank you again for your time and help.

Randy

spinningwood wrote:Hi Randy - I think the material you want to cut is more of a factor in selecting bits than the machine you are running. Clearly there are bits somenone could recommend that wouldn't work on the shark (e.g. requiring a 1/2" shank), but you're unlikely to get any of that in response to a "bits for beginners" question.

You will defnitely find a larger population of people cutting plastics (and who are willing to respond to posts) over on the Vectric site. This site is probably still a better choice for shark specific questions.

Ed

recrisp

Post by recrisp »

Buc,

I really appreciate the list, that does help for sure.
Also, I have gone to the site you linked to and bookmarked it, I'll check that place out.

Really, I'm not as dumb as I seem, heheh, I am going blind right now since I have not been able to get my machine up and running because I have been kind'a sick lately, and as soon and I can, I plan on getting things rolling and all of the stuff y'all have told me will come to light.
Once I get it all up and going I am sure (or I sure hope) that it'll start to fall into place.

Thank you for your help on this, I need all I can get I think. heheh

Randy

Buc wrote:Randy,

Here is a snipping tool list of my tool list from Aspire. (see attachment) Im a wood carver and signist.

The web site is one place I get bits. If I want to go to Buffalo, N.Y. I go to the Rockler store. If I want to go to Cleveland, OH, I go to Eagle America outlet store. Also have ordered online from both. Depends who's got what on sale. Free or cheap shipping.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/100 ... ve_forming
Buc
tool bit list.PNG

Buc

Post by Buc »

Randy,

You may want to conside purchasing an 1/8" (.125") collect and nut. Also got the 1/4" one. I needed one since I use 1/8" ball nose bits, with 1/8" shank. Very pleased with their 1/8" bit performance. I'm guessing uncle Ed also has the 1/8' collect. They also have bits listed on their site.

http://www.precisebits.com/products/equ ... lt_Collets

I'm retired but not old. My biggest problem is finding new projects. Go ahead make some neat stuff.
Uncle Buc, (they made a movie about me once)
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

recrisp

Post by recrisp »

Thanks Buc!

That was helpful, I'll definitely do that, thanks again for your help. :)

Randy