Has anyone chucked a sanding type tool into the router

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

CountryWoodCrafts

Has anyone chucked a sanding type tool into the router

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

Has anyone chucked a sanding type tool into the router to clean up the job after routing ?

spinningwood

Re: Has anyone chucked a sanding type tool into the router

Post by spinningwood »

All comments are based on work with wood only and represent just one person's opinion. Others may have very different opinions:

I tried using some carving burrs that give me a really clean finish when I use them in handheld rotary tools, but the results were not good. Lots of burning.

I find that using sharp tools and a reasonable chip load (feed, speed, tool specs) mostly eliminates the need for cleanup. Trying to squeeze a few extra miles of cutting out of a tool may save some money in tooling purchases, but the trade off is more time and expense cleaning up the work.

But sometimes you just have grain issues and the fuzzies have to be dealt with. I use bristle sanding disks on a flexshaft rotary tool to clean those up without losing any detail.

Ed

CountryWoodCrafts

I did not know if anyone used any wire ball or sanding bit to clean up and save time.
I am looking to create an efficient production line and want to save time anywhere possible.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

I would seriously check into a sand flee for the 3d surfaces I was at a show reciently and I had some things that I did rough and gave to them to sand and they came out very nice.

CountryWoodCrafts

Cool . . . I found the Sand Flee Finishing Mop . . . that looks promising. Thanks Tim . . . Looking forward to my new system.

George