Vcarve Pro

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

momojito

Vcarve Pro

Post by momojito »

Hi
I am trying to learn and use Vcarve Pro. I bought a used machine and only have it a few days now. It came with version 4.602 I would like to try the machine out on cutting the test file Bulls_Head.dxf in the tutorial. It says to use a 1.25" 90 degree V_Carving tool. I do not have that bit yet as far as I know.
I bought a set of 4 bits at Harbor Freight. It comes with 1/8" Straight Cut Diam. 1/8", Cut Length 5/16" bit, 90 Degree V-Groove, Cut Diam. 1/2", Cut Length 1/2", 3/8" Corbox, Radius 3/16", Cut Diam. 3/8", Cut Length 3/8" bit, 1/2" Classical, Radius 3/32", Cut Diam. 1/2", Cut Length 1/2". Can I use any of these bits for the tutorial just to see what the machine will do or will I get bad results. If I can which bit should I try? Also can I use the same parameter in the tutorial or do I have to change something?
Thanks
Bruce

sk8nmike

Re: Vcarve Pro

Post by sk8nmike »

Use the 90 degree bit. Pattern may have narrow lines but it will give you an idea of what it will do.

tmerrill

Re: Vcarve Pro

Post by tmerrill »

No, the pattern will not have narrow lines. The way v-carving works is the bit will make multiple passes if necessary until the material is removed between two closed vector shapes. Normally the only reason to use a larger diameter v-bit is to increase the cutting length to minimize the number of passes required. In this case, the original file that came with VCP 4.6 uses a 1/2" diameter V-90, so Bruce is good to go.

Bruce,

The Bulls_Head.crv file is attached to my response to your post on the Vectric forum. Plus there is some additional info that may help you.

Tim