How to do a lithophane

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Eagle55

Re: How to do a lithophane

Post by Eagle55 »

Bump is good.... printing out the instructions and saving it in MS Word is even better. I may even make a laminated card to drag out too. :)
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

baby15

Post by baby15 »

any one have any ideas on different boxes or shelves for 8x10 lithophanes. or something unique. i will be back running in about a week . been working with tonydude back a few months ago . he is very good

youme

Post by youme »

tonydude,
I am using aspire for the lithophanes.i use .125 ballnose for rough and.0625 ballnose for finish.But whenever i try to make a small lithophane,say 3in x 3in it turns out distorted. when i make a 5x7 or larger it looks great.maybe you can help me out.also do you know how to bend a small lithophane for a night light?
Thanks for you help.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

You bend it by heating in your oven, 300 degrees for 15 minutes. It'll be pliable. Using oven mitts, bend it over a tin can or round jig, hold till it cools a bit, or hold under cold water. It'll stay in that shape. Pretty obvious, but you have to carve first. If your carving is very intricate, and you bend too much, you might stretch it distort it a little during the bend.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

I'm bumping this up
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.