Materials used with the Shark

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hdtheater

Materials used with the Shark

Post by hdtheater »

I just got my Pro Plus a few weeks ago and have been spending time creating a lot of dust. So far, I have limited myself to using MDF. I use it mainly because it is so cheap, but I can't make everything out of MDF. Looking for other alternatives to wood that are Shark friendly.

What kind of material do most of you use to carve stuff out of?

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

recrisp

Re: Materials used with the Shark

Post by recrisp »

I can't really help, but I think this would be a good time for others to know that MDF is kind'a not healthy at all to breathe in, or keep around if left unsealed.
(I'm really not trying to hijack this post)
The other day I was reading about MDF and I saw that it was really poisonous and never loses its carcinogenic properties.
The resins in it are the main culprit, and a good mask is needed to prevent the bad stuff, but a good coat (or two) of primer is all needed after the cuts to prevent it going airborne.
If I am wrong about this, my apologies, I just read it, and it seemed to be from a reliable source, and I am just trying to help you and anyone else that might not use a mask or whatever to prevent health problems.
(My sky is not really falling... and I do realize that most anything breathed in not in moderation can/will cause complications...heheh)

As far as 'stuff' to make things from, Corian is pretty cool stuff, REALLY high cost, but it's dense, and works pretty well.
http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/p ... index.html
Really, it may also depend on what you plan on making as to what the alternative might be.
At Rockler I noticed they had a pretty good selection of small pieces of wood that could be used as samples for you to play around with, a hands on approach, so to speak.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will come along... :)

Randy

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

I use MDF because it is cheap and easily found. However, MDF is not good to be around for all the reasons you posted. I always have a good supply of dust masks for when I use it. It is also very heavy and susceptible to the elements when outside. I have seen people use HDPE, foam, etc... However, I don't know where to get it nor what to expect to pay for it. I am just looking for popular materials people use or better yet, materials to avoid.

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Eric - What have you got against wood? Oh well, to each their own.

If you do a search on the word "foam" over on the vectric forum you will find out more than you probably want to know about carving foam on a cnc router. As far as sources, shops that supply sign stores wil have high quality signage material (foam being one) and may seem a little pricey to you. Home Depot will likely have the cheap pink foam insulation sheets that some are playing around with (unless you live somewhere like South Florida).

If you have shops in your area that do corian counter tops you may be able to get cutoffs from them (maybe for free if they haven't figured out they can sell them on the internet). I like corian a lot. I don't like having to buy corian ($$$$$$$).

If you think wood is too expensive to buy, make friends with the tree trimmers in your area. You'll get more wood for free than you could use in a couple lifetimes.

Ed

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

spinningwood wrote:Eric - What have you got against wood? Oh well, to each their own.

If you do a search on the word "foam" over on the vectric forum you will find out more than you probably want to know about carving foam on a cnc router. As far as sources, shops that supply sign stores wil have high quality signage material (foam being one) and may seem a little pricey to you. Home Depot will likely have the cheap pink foam insulation sheets that some are playing around with (unless you live somewhere like South Florida).

Ed
Nothing against wood at all. I am new to CNC routing and want to explore! :D

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Bob

Post by Bob »

hdtheater wrote:I use MDF because it is cheap and easily found. However, MDF is not good to be around for all the reasons you posted. I always have a good supply of dust masks for when I use it. It is also very heavy and susceptible to the elements when outside. I have seen people use HDPE, foam, etc... However, I don't know where to get it nor what to expect to pay for it. I am just looking for popular materials people use or better yet, materials to avoid.

Eric
Eric
Go here for sign foam samples:
http://www.signfoam.com/distributory.ph ... m_location
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

dggt6

Post by dggt6 »

Hi Guys,
I understand that MDF has changed since first introduced. The formaldehyde that is now released when cutting/machining is not of significant proportion.
In fact it is the size of the particles of ANY dust that is of major concern. Too big gets stuck in your nose, too small goes through , but the "goldilocks" size sits in your lungs helping cancer.
Here are a few links I have found on the topic.....
http://www.woodworkforums.com/archive/i ... -1798.html
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/mdf.htm

Like they say for motorcycle helmets........

"if you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet"

A $200 mask/respirator is cheaper than a lung transplant!

Cheers
Doug

recrisp

Post by recrisp »

Thanks Doug, that's good to know, I hadn't thought of that.

(I remember back in the 70's Bell (helmet) had that slogan about the "$10. head", I hadn't heard anyone else use it before, I quote that when the subject comes up. heheheh)

Thanks for the correction!

Randy

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

spinningwood wrote:Eric - What have you got against wood? Oh well, to each their own.

If you have shops in your area that do corian counter tops you may be able to get cutoffs from them (maybe for free if they haven't figured out they can sell them on the internet). I like corian a lot. I don't like having to buy corian ($$$$$$$).

If you think wood is too expensive to buy, make friends with the tree trimmers in your area. You'll get more wood for free than you could use in a couple lifetimes.

Ed
Ed,

When looking on Vectric, should I get too hung up if the posts are from users that don't use a Shark? My concern is if the router has the HP to handle different materials. Foam my not be an issue, but what about Aluminum, Stone, tile, etc..? An example like the pink foam you mentioned. I would be concerned that it would be too soft and could possibly melt.

Thanks,

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Eric - I rarely check to see what machine somebody is running. The operations they are performing and the tooling they are using is of more interest to me. You can't run really large tools with shanks larger than 1/4" on the shark. There are times when it might be nice to be able to run something like a 2" diameter V120 with a 1/2" shank, but it's not very often. I can achieve close to the same results by 3D carving something, but it takes a lot longer than running a large bit along a vector. If I was running a production shop making lots of large items, I might be willing to spend another $20K or $30K to get a bigger machine with a more powerful spindle if I regularly wanted to do things that require LARGE bits. But I don't run a production shop and my money is better spent on other things. Spending a couple hours a year creating things that could have been completed in half the time on a larger, more powerful and much more expensive machine isn't a problem for me. But everyone has to make that choice for themselves.

As far as cutting stone and metals on the shark is concerned, the lack of a cooling system is probably a bigger limitation than the router in terms of what you can do. With the right tool, feed and speed you could do some work in stone and metal. Anything other than some shallow engraving would likely take so long and burn up so many tools that you would not find it practical. A more powerful router isn't going to make it any easier.

As far as melting the pink foam...I've not run the foam on my shark but I have used it with other power tools (table saws, drill press, handheld router) and I did not have a problem with melting. One of the things I've noticed is that a lot of people tend to run their routers way too fast. The speed (rpm) of the router and the feed (cnc speed) need to be matched to the tool you are using and the material you are cutting. You want nice chips and not dust when you are cutting. Google the term "chip load" and you will find a lot of information. If your tooling is getting hot while you are cutting you are over/under loading the cutter (not enough can be just as bad a too much).

Ed