Aligning X and Y axis

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Aligning X and Y axis

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Eric,

I often drill 1/4" holes in a scarf board in an "L" shape. I put pegs in the holes and I now have a square in X/Y jig for holding work pieces. It's not clear to me how you are determining a drift of 1/4" over 24" run, but if you get this kind of error with a jig like this, something is not mechanically sound with your setup.

hdtheater

Re: Aligning X and Y axis

Post by hdtheater »

I noticed it when I cut a symmetrical shape a few times and then went to glue it up. Then I noticed both sides were not mirror images of each other. I thought it was my file, but even after flipping the image in the file it was off.

I use a 3/4" thick scarf board on top of my aluminum bed. I have carved about an 1/8" deep pocket across the scarf board to ensure I am level across the table for a perfect Z height.

If I place a framers square inside the pocket it is not a perfect 90 degree at any corner. I ran it across the X axis and it is off by about a 1/4"" across it. Same goes across the Y axis.

I need to pull the bed off and loosen the slides on the X gantry and true it up with Y. I posted seeing if anyone had tricks to make it as close to perfect as I can.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx