Foam Board

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hdtheater

Foam Board

Post by hdtheater »

Today, I decided to experiment with some foam board. I am looking for some advice as to what could clean the edges up when cutting. The edges have a lot of fuzz on them. I slowed the router down to the lowest setting and used 1/4" End Mill to cut it. I know it may not be the optimal material to use with a CNC, but I am just seeing what I can and can't do right now.

Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

spinningwood

Re: Foam Board

Post by spinningwood »

Check out the following thread on the Vectric Forum. Tim cut a shark from pink foam. I saw his two sided version at the user group meeting in Memphis and it looked great. He's a really helpful guy. If you ask for foam cutting tips I'm sure he would tell you what he knows.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8871

You said you slowed the router down, but what feed rate (e.g. IPM = inches per minute) were you running at. You specify the feed rate when you select the tool from the tool database in the software. That feed rate gets coded in to the gcode of the toolpath file. It's how the shark knows how fast to move.

Is that green (blue?) foam you are using hard or soft? The pink stuff is pretty rigid. If the stuff you are showing is like foam rubber, you'll never get a clean cut in that.

Give Tim (aka tmerrill) a try on the vectric forum.

Ed

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

That shark is cool!

After I hone my 2D skills, I will have to give something like that a try. As for my snowflake, I was using 1/4' foam board that you get from W*-Mart. After reading through that post, I can see that it is just not rigid enough to carve. Now, I just need to find something rigid, thin, and light enough.

I am sure that the right tool to make such a thing should be more like large shaped knife, treat it like a cookie cutter.

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

ohiolyons

Post by ohiolyons »

I successfully cut foam board in the past just to see if it could be done. My wife is a teacher and she has many foam board projects.

My results looked like it had been cut with an X-Acto knife. I don't exactly remember, but I am pretty sure I used a 1/16" single flute bit. I will try it again and post a photo and provide speeds etc.

Several manufactures make these bits and I find them very handy.

John

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

ohiolyons wrote:I successfully cut foam board in the past just to see if it could be done. My wife is a teacher and she has many foam board projects.

My results looked like it had been cut with an X-Acto knife. I don't exactly remember, but I am pretty sure I used a 1/16" single flute bit. I will try it again and post a photo and provide speeds etc.

Several manufactures make these bits and I find them very handy.

John

Please do! I have a few ideas floating in my head that I wanted to use foam board for.

Thanks,

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

ohiolyons

Post by ohiolyons »

Went out to the shop and found the foamboard example I cut. The foam is perfectly smooth (looks like knife cut it), but the edges (paper) are slightly furry. Now that I know I did do it I gin up a sample and send the settings and photos.

I'm certain I used that 1/16" bit, but will also try spiral down 1/8" bit too.

John

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

ohiolyons wrote:Went out to the shop and found the foamboard example I cut. The foam is perfectly smooth (looks like knife cut it), but the edges (paper) are slightly furry. Now that I know I did do it I gin up a sample and send the settings and photos.

I'm certain I used that 1/16" bit, but will also try spiral down 1/8" bit too.

John

Looking forward to seeing it! Thanks.

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

ohiolyons

Post by ohiolyons »

Eric I had success.

The first photo shows what it looks like just after the router finishes.
DSC06256.JPG

The second photo shows what it looks like after you use 400 grit wet dry sandpaper on the edges and the router bit used.
DSC06255.JPG
Settings

1/16" router bit
pass depth 0.025
stepover 0.025
Bousch router speed posiition 4
feedrate 25
plunge rate 5

MCLS, Eagle Router Bits carry this bit

Did not try to use some of my dental type bits, but I think the key to cutting this really soft material is the smallest bit possible running slower feed rates to minimize tearing of the paper.

John

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Thanks John! I ordered a bit tonight. Will have to try again when it comes in.
Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Haltex

Post by Haltex »

Try the IN-GROOVE insert ingraving bits they have 6 different kinds, they cost a bit more but, last many times longer and you get a great cutting job, on foam to Maple it dose a exelent job.

Hal