3D cuts imported to V-Carve

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Dash

3D cuts imported to V-Carve

Post by Dash »

Hello, all... Happy Birthday, USA!!!

I am working on a plaque that is 2 ft by 2ft. I am importing a 3-d carving into the plaque which has other text and other carvings done in V-carve. My question of the day is...when the 3d carving is imported, do I need to re-set the starting point of the machine. For all the text and other carvings, I have the starting point in the center. Will the software also start the 3-d carving from the center of the whole piece or do I need to change to start place for the 3-d?

Thanks to All,
Dash

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: 3D cuts imported to V-Carve

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Dash,

I think I recall reading that the import process 'takes care' of resetting the start point based on the project being imported to. You could check this by running a carving preview in step mode to see where the cutter starts - frankly you could just turn on the carving path to see as well.

This memory is from an older post - and to be frank I am in the habit of recalculating the imported toolpath - but was told this is not necessary by VCarve software design.

Let us know what you find out from hands on...

Dash

Re: 3D cuts imported to V-Carve

Post by Dash »

Hello, Jeb!!!
Glad to "talk" to you again.
I checked the step preview and found I ll have to re-set the cutter at each stopping point. Then I thought about something that you told me months back. I did the 3-d's on Vector 3-d machinist. I backed up and used Cut 3-d. I think the starting points will change. We will see and will let you all know.
Thanks again, Jeb!!