Drill bit adapter for colt

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Chips

Drill bit adapter for colt

Post by Chips »

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if Bosch makes a drill bit adapter for the colt?

Chips

fison

Re: Drill bit adapter for colt

Post by fison »

Bill,

I had the same requirement and couldn't find one. I purchased a small chuck intended for drill/drivers that had a hex shank for the driver with a 3/8" threaded end that went into the chuck. I purchased some 3/8" bolts and had a machine shop lathe the non-threaded end down to 1/4" and now I have a chuck for my Colt. It's a little limited because it takes 1 1/2" of Z just for the chuck but I've used it successfully with my Shark Pro.

Paul Fison
Tacoma, WA

Here's a picture:
1/4" Drive Chuck
1/4" Drive Chuck
Paul Fison
Tacoma, Washington, USA
(253) 925-0855

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Depending on what you are trying to do (e.g. how many holes, what size, how deep, what kind of accuracy do you need) and how much your time is worth, you have a couple of options in addition to doing something like Paul offered:

1) Buy 1/16", 1/8" and 1/4" end mills. Use them to mill whatever size hole you want in your work ranging from 1/16" to as big as your shark table. No issues with oversize holes due to added runout from adding a drill chuck. Will generally take longer to mill holes than it will to drill them, but if you have a lot of different / odd size holes you don't have to buy as much tooling and do as many tool changes using the end mills. If you need holes smaller than 1/16" you can buy smaller end mills, but carbide micro drills might be a better choice.

2) Buy a set of drill bits with 1/8" and 1/4" shanks that covers the sizes you will need. Bits intended for cnc usage will likely be carbide and pretty expensive. They will stand up to the abuse of being run in a cnc better than hss and if you are drilling lots and lots of holes for profit the higher cost for the bits may be worth it.

Personally, I use the end mills. I'm working in wood, not making precision parts and not running a production shop. If I was making aircraft parts I would be using drills and reamers, but then I'd be running something other than a shark as well.

Ed

Chips

Post by Chips »

Thank you guys for the ideas. For what its worth I am cutting carbon fiber frames for my R/C Electric Helicopter. The Heli frame is two pieces of carbon fiber bolted togather. So, I thought the drill bit idea would simplify matters for drilling nine mount holes. Again, thanks for the infomation.

Bill (Chips)

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

I would not use the chuck in a router. Most chucks are designed to run around 3000 rpm max and a router runs at 30000. Since these are not balanced you will at best kill the bearings in the bosch at worst you would have bits flying.