Extra Long Peice-INDEXING-

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

fdownwind

Extra Long Peice-INDEXING-

Post by fdownwind »

Any good ideas on ways to index work piece so i can have a continuous carving longer AND wider than the Sharks cutting area? I would like to make a 4x8 sign with somewhat intricate carving and letters. I realize the top would be in two pieces, and that as far as i have got. I have read, I believe on this forum, ways to deal with a longer piece, but not a wider piece... I am sure someone here has done it... Any good indexing techniques out there???

Tim Owens

Re: Extra Long Peice-INDEXING-

Post by Tim Owens »

I would wait until version 6 of Vcarve happens that will have it built in automatically. I am being told it will come in Nov. But I dont have an exact date.

RhB_HJ

Re: Extra Long Peice-INDEXING-

Post by RhB_HJ »

As far as mechanical indexing goes: dowel pins as reference points on both x and y axis should work. Machining the longitudinal points with the machine should assure the repeatability. The problem with the width: divide the part drawing and provide a common overlap area i.e. each piece will have the extra overlap that can be trimmed for a good fit. Will it be perfect? I doubt it, but it's worth a try.
Cheers

HJ
_______
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca