Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

wolffie

What is going on with my machine?

Post by wolffie »

I did a doodle that was supposed to look like this,
Doodles.jpg
tried to carve it and got this :o
WeirdCarving.jpg
I set XYZ0 at the centre (this is in Aspire) and started to aircarve.
Like a rocket the router flew down to the very edge of the board and started the pattern. It finished in the centre where it was supposed to be but far off the XYZ0.
I did another aircarve from the position where the first one finished, setting XYZ0 first (yes I did remember to set the XYZ0 every time)and this time it went way outside the other end of the board, finishing short of the edge.
I decided to try and carve it, starting from the first XYZ0 position and this is what I got. The upper semi circle is just to show where the second aircarving happened.

It didn't even do the whole pattern.
Are the Shark Pro powerbox and the HD not compatible?
It is definitely playing games with me :roll:
All cables are connected correctly.
Cheers
Wolffie
Attachments
Doodles.crv3d
(218.5 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

drueth

Re: What is going on with my machine?

Post by drueth »

Wolffie

I belive I know what the problems is and I belive it is a problem in Aspire. I have also been expermenting with chip carving and found that vecarve is very fussy about vectors that overlap or have tails left form using the trim vectors tool. Looking at the first .jpeg you loaded it looks like severial chips are missing. I ran in to that when I was first starting to teach my machine to do chip carving. If you save the file in a .crv format some of us that have not made the big leap to aspire would also be able to open it and look. I have included a .jpeg that looks a little insane and also missing one chip. If you open the crv file you will see I have over laps and also tails on the shapes. I hope this make sence.
Attachments
New.crv
(731 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
badtoolpath.jpg
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

SPH01

Post by SPH01 »

It looks OK in 3.5, if I recalc the drawing then it gets a lot different but your CRV looks good. I'll try and air carve it in a while.
Attachments
Doodles.jpg

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

I belive I know what the problems is and I belive it is a problem in Aspire.
David,

This is NOT a problem with Aspire or VCarve Pro. The V-carve toolpath needs well defined closed vector shapes and when it is given poorly defined or overlapping shapes, it does the best it can to figure out what is what. Only the user can give it the shapes it needs to obtain the results they want.

As for your file, the shapes overlap and this is causing the issue. One trick in this situation is to select every other shape and calculate the toolpath, then select the remaining shapes and calculate it again. Since the toolpaths use the same bit, they can be saved to one cut file so at your machine the fact that you have multiple toolpaths becomes invisible. See attached file.

You should also do the free upgrade to version 6.504 - use Edit>Check for Upgrades and follow the prompts.

As for Wolffie's file, there are multiple issues.

First, I believe the feed rate to be too aggressive, but will leave that to the others that own that model machine.

Second, the vectors are poorly designed to do v-carving and would be better off using a Profile-On toolpath with a v-bit with the exception of the outer donut shape.

Third, the toolpath option to 'Project toolpath onto 3D model' is selected but there is no 3D model present. This option should never be selected unless you are really projecting onto a 3D surface as it can cause unpredictable results.

This is just after a quick scan of the file. I believe the machine issues need to be resolved first using simple designs, then more complex (and better laid out) designs can be tested. If you aren't getting the same results as shown in the preview, the issue has to be the post processor, machine, machine's control system or project setup on the machine.

Tim
Attachments
New better results.JPG
New better.crv
(73 KiB) Downloaded 225 times

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

Thank you Tim.
I will try that one when it gets daylight.
It was just a quick doodle to try out the machine.
The first times I used it I tried out some lettering and it did the first letter reasonably shallow then carved the words DEEP but I did use the wrong bit :oops:
I just could not figure out why the first letter was different to the others.
MyFirstTry.jpg
MySecondTry.jpg
Cheers
Wolffie

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

Happy dance :mrgreen:
My machine finally admitted defeat and realised I am the boss :lol:
It is behaving itself now.
Cheers
Wolffie

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

Well, that didn't last long.
Today the machine got back at me and decided it no longer wanted to move on the Y axis, it did the complete model in one long line on the Y axis.
Ruined a perfectly good piece of New Guinea Rosewood.
My own control box is on its way, hopefully that will be the end of my troubles.
Otherwise that machine is going to be a very expensive anchor for my boat :(
Cheers
Wolffie

wooddude

Post by wooddude »

I heard that there were some changes to the controller box between older and newer sharks about the time the HD was introduced, so that might be a part of the problem.
Wolffie wrote:Like a rocket the router flew down to the very edge of the board and started the pattern. It finished in the centre where it was supposed to be but far off the XYZ0.
IMHO, this sounds like maybe the other part of the problem; if the feed rate is set so high as to send the router flying about, you're likely to "lose" steps on the stepping servos, which results in the router not being where the computer thinks it is. I generally use a feed rate of 35 to 70 inches per minute for cutting; that avoids losing steps, over-feeding the bit into the wood, and minimizes shaking of the machine when the router "turns a corner," such as when VCarving a square. BTW, this is all with FRO on the control panel set at 100% so that the rapid traverse rate stays fairly quick: If I'm cutting some new or unusual material, I'll double the feedrate in VCarve and set FRO at 50% until I can see what feed rate works best for the new material.

Good luck, and I hope the new control box helps!
If it's too small, use Bondo. If it's too big, use a belt sander. If it moves and it shouldn't, use epoxy. If the above doesn't help, build a bonfire with it and make s'mores!
{|;-) David

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

Hi Wooddude
It turned out the loanbox had done a lot of mileage, plus being a loan box, nobody knows how it has been treated by the borrower.
Something inside died and the box eventually did not move the Y axis at all.
My own box is on its way but with the Australia Post's motto "We Deliver" it means "We Deliver, but nobody says when" :(
Sending Express Mail means nothing at all here.
Cheers
Wolffie