4" sign, indexing???

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

banderson

4" sign, indexing???

Post by banderson »

Newb here. Just wandering if it is possible to make a long sign on the shark. Can the machine index accurately or is it locked into the table size? Thanks.

spinningwood

Re: 4" sign, indexing???

Post by spinningwood »

The shark doesn't have an automatic indexing capability built in, however mine has proven to be precise enough to be capable of accurate indexing. You would need to use locating pins, jigs or some other technique to actually index a long piece but it is doable. The quality of the results would be more dependent on you as the operator than on the shark.

Ed

banderson

Post by banderson »

Thanks ED. Is the software capable of doing the work or would you have to create a few different programs and run them separately for each index?

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

You would manually have to break up the large part into smaller panels and add anything you need for indexing in the current version of the software. At the user group meeting in Memphis a couple of weeks ago, Vectric indicated that the new version of the software (coming out in the next couple of weeks) will have the ability to automatically break up a large design to generate the segment toolpaths for creating a larger piece. I believe indexing marks would still be done manually, but I'm not sure. In any case it seemed much easier to generate large pieces on small machines with this new feature.

However you do it, you will end up with multiple toolpaths. At a high level the process is:

1) Position your workpiece at the starting point.
2) Run a toolpath to cut the first section.
3) Slide your workpiece through the machine using some indexing technique to position it for the next cut.
4) Run the toolpath for the next section.
5) repeat 3 and 4 until done.

Ed

banderson

Post by banderson »

Do you know if the shark has any outputs that can be turned on/off via the computer (ex. router, on/off or vacuum system)?

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Mine doesn't (shark pro), but I beleive the specs for the Shark Pro Plus indicate that the router can be turned off and on by the program. Look on the rockler site.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25376

Ed

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

The controller for the Pro Plus has an outlet on the back of it to plug the router into. As far as multiple items are concerned, I don't know the amp rating if anyone wanted to add more than just the router. I would ask Tim at Next Wave if he recommended that.

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

The pros do have an output for connecting to a on/off for spindle.
We do have an external on off for the router.