text

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

tom

text

Post by tom »

I am a definite newbie and have what may appear to be a silly question. I am making tablets out of heart pine and want to engrave bible verses on them. I need to use small text and engrave only very slightly into the wood. Most of my plaques or tablets are going to be 8.5 x11" or so and my problem is that i dont know what kind of bit and size and what settings to use in v-carve pro- i purchased the shark pro plus with the nice aluminum table and am really enjoying getting to know it- just looking for some quick and easy advice. thanks tom

GARYR6

Re: text

Post by GARYR6 »

There are engraving bits. I like to use a 30degree bit from Price bits when doing detail stuff.

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

You might also want to reconsider your choice of material. Softwoods are not the best choice for detail carving.

One trick I've used that has worked well for shallow detail text is to put a couple smooth coats of film finish (polyurethane/ varnish / whatever) over the wood. Then I do my carving (sometimes not even cutting all the way through the film finish). Take some shoe polish or stain and rub it on the piece, cleaning off the surface and the text jumps right out.

If you get a lot of chip out and fuzzies on the pine you might consider it.

Ed

tom

Post by tom »

spinningwood wrote:You might also want to reconsider your choice of material. Softwoods are not the best choice for detail carving.

One trick I've used that has worked well for shallow detail text is to put a couple smooth coats of film finish (polyurethane/ varnish / whatever) over the wood. Then I do my carving (sometimes not even cutting all the way through the film finish). Take some shoe polish or stain and rub it on the piece, cleaning off the surface and the text jumps right out.

If you get a lot of chip out and fuzzies on the pine you might consider it.

Ed
thanks i will give it a shot.

tom

Post by tom »

GARYR6 wrote:There are engraving bits. I like to use a 30degree bit from Price bits when doing detail stuff.
I will definitely get one and try it - thanks !

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.