Using dxf files

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

johnnycat500

Using dxf files

Post by johnnycat500 »

Hi Guys I need a little help and info on turning dxf files into tool paths. I have a dxf file for a quadcopter I want to cut for a friend. I import the file into vcarve and it is not actual size. It is really big, how do I get it to the drawn size?. also all the lines are not joined. I do not know how to join the lines all at once. I did take the outer profile and join the lines ,then was able to give it a tool path. I am looking for the steps you take to import and assign tool paths to the dxf file. Thanks for any info you can give....john :D

sk8nmike

Re: Using dxf files

Post by sk8nmike »

This is from Aspire but it should be the same in Vcarve.

Use the Model size on the screen after you select import.
model actual.jpg
Keep Lock XYZ ratio selected and change one of the values to fit the size you want. In my case I have a 7" x 4" board.
model resized.jpg
I've changed to x value to 7" and the other values changed to match the new size. Select apply, make any other changes you want and then select OK to create.

johnnycat500

Post by johnnycat500 »

Thanks for your reply. Here's a few pics of the problems.My job setup is 12"x18" so you can see how big the file is when I import it. The 2nd and 3rd pics are of the web design on the top frame. The lines don't come together so I guess the only thing I can do is re-draw those parts.
Attachments
DSC_8356  2000X1328.jpg
DSC_8357  2000x1328.jpg
DSC_8358  2000x1328.jpg

BillK

Post by BillK »

There are a few things that you can do to help yourself.

If you are using AutoCAD to generate the dxf file, use the PEDIT command and turn your lines into polylines which will then open as closed vectors in V-carve. That command or a similar one is usually found in other CAD packages also. The needed item is to have a closed vector shape for tool path generation.

Within Vcarve, you can still fix them, using the close commands near the bottom of the left menu pane. Select two lines then join them with the command, then add a line one at a time with the same command unil the shape is closed.

Hope that helps a little.

BillK
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

That's a useful (of course) tip for those folks who have autocad. I've seen a fair number of anomalies with dxf files over the years, and for VCarve/Aspire use, barring having an app like Autocad to automatically fix things up, you are somewhat stuck with a manual approach using VCarve/Aspire. This post may also be of use - http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=846

johnnycat500

Post by johnnycat500 »

Thank you both for your input. I don't have AutoCad. The file was done by someone else. I tried the close command and it works great [ thanks billk] On that web design there is only 4 cut outs that have the extra lines. So I get rid of the lines I don't need and use the close command to join them i should be good to go. If I find out what size the holes in the frame are,could I size the frame by that. Bringing the frame down til the holes are the same?
Last edited by johnnycat500 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Even better if you knew the distance between the centerline(s) of some of those holes. You could then set up some reference lines in a grid structure, grab all the vectors and resize to that.

johnnycat500

Post by johnnycat500 »

Thanks Joe. I emailed my friend to get that info. Thanks for all your help,much appreciated.

SimRacn

Post by SimRacn »

Is it possibly in metric? It would come in very large. Not sure on scaling in vcarve but would use either 25.4 or .03937 to get it to inch size.
Hope the info may help you or anyone else.
It is my belief that the only dumb question is the one not asked :-)

johnnycat500

Post by johnnycat500 »

You are right on the mark!Worked on another dxf file and it did the same thing. had it sent to me in inches and everything is roses. So now I bring in the file ,high lite it and use join open vectors. now it is ready for tool paths. Thanks everyone for your help :D