spacing on small letters

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

tom

spacing on small letters

Post by tom »

another question...in engraving some of my small text- i am getting some overlap and splintering between the letters. Is there a way i can increase the spacing on the letters without distorting the words? i see there is 2 options on the drawing panel - but i am not sure which ones to use and how.

GARYR6

Re: spacing on small letters

Post by GARYR6 »

You can write each letter then re-space as needed. On the splintering, try a mask or shellack on the wood to help hold the wood in place. You might also try slowing down the feed rate.

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

You are looking for the "Edit Text Spacing and Curve" tool. In my version of vCarve it's in the "Create Vectors" section in the second row third from the left. The icon looks like a white mouse arrow pointing up and left with an AB above a curve next to it. If you hover over the tools their title/function will pop up.

In the menu at the top of the program click on help and then select "Help Contents". This should bring up the Help File in a browser window. Search for the words "kerning options". You will find something like the following (works only with the "Edit Text Spacing and Curve Tool" active):

Placing the cursor between letters and,

Clicking the Left mouse moves the letters closer together.

Holding the Shift key and clicking the Left mouse moves the letters apart.

Holding the Ctrl key and clicking the Left mouse moves the letters apart in larger increments.

Holding the Shift & Ctrl keys together and clicking the Left mouse moves the letters closer together in larger increments

There's a lot more information in the file about different ways of adjusting spacing. Worth a read to learn the full capabilities of the software.

Ed

tom

Post by tom »

Great help....heading to the shop now...will give you all an update on my progress. thanks a lot.