Having trouble with machine cutting

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Rosemary

Re: Having trouble with machine cutting

Post by Rosemary »

My machine is directly wired to my computer with a USB cable. I have no idea where I would find an sd card. I do not have a slot for it anywhere.

The software shows the preview of the cuts and they look fine.

Any more ideas on what to look for?

Rosemary

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Not sure about which Shark you have, but on mine the SD card slot is in the controller, and an SD card may have been already installed there when your Shark arrived. It is essentially memory space local to the controller to read the data file (g-code) directly from, and if it has bad or corroded contacts the slight vibration of a job being run may make it mometarily short. That "could" lead to all sorts of errors in the job, and is one easy thing to check as mentioned above.

Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

Today I ran the first tap file and it worked fine. When I loaded the second file I clicked run,(the X was 0, the Y was 0, and the Z said 1") it dove into the wood again, I hit the emergency stop and clicked the "MOVE to 0,0" it moved it back but the Z axis was at .5 and not 1" where it was orginally set. I checked the drawing and made sure the wood thickness was set at 1". So it seems that when a file is run and the z reads 1" it cannot read that and that is where it's messing up.

I can get it to work if I reset the XYZ0 each tap file I want to use.

Rosemary

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Rosemary,

I would call Next Wave Automation support and talk to them about this. While it is always good to check the position of the tool at the start - something odd is happening here, and I don't know that there is a goof in your setup - it sounds like you were running the same job.

One last thing to check is to see if along the way somewhere you set a value for the offset. Open that up and if there is a value there, set it all to 0,0,0.

If that's ok, I'd call support. You may be asked to send your control box in for bench testing and possible repair.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

When a job starts, the router will return to 0,0,0 before beginning the cut sequence. So if your job started with the bit at 0,0,1 the first thing that would happen would be a 1" plunge. I've gotten in the habit of resetting 0,0,0 at the beginning of each job, and simply leaving the bit there before running a file. If that spot is critical then reset the job with 0,0,0 in a less critical place. I try to locate no parts right at 0,0,0 when laying them out in VCarve.