My longest sign on CNC

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BobA

My longest sign on CNC

Post by BobA »

This is the longest sign I have attempted so far. I have 4 signs to make for University of Tennessee Space Institute. I am cutting signs out 2"x11.5"x128" pressure treated boards. I had to relocate my CNC to accommodate the long boards. Attached is a couple of pictures getting started on first sign.

Bob
Attachments
UT SIGN 002 (2).jpg
UT SIGN 003 (2).jpg

Shipfitter

Re: My longest sign on CNC

Post by Shipfitter »

How are the match-ups where the tiles come together. Almost seamless? What are you using for software?

BobA

Re: My longest sign on CNC

Post by BobA »

Shopfitter,

I used VCarve to cut the sign. I first made a program all of the words and the total board length.

Then I made separate programs to capture as many letters as I could within the limits of my machine which is 25". As I recall I used 23" to be safe.

I started by making a program as if I was doing the whole sign. My first sign was "THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE". I chose to break it down to 6 programs. From the left side I made X zero and moved my cursor to the start of the first letter and then to the last letter capturing the dimensions as I positioned my cursor. See the attachment #1. I did this for each program I would create. I measured and marked my board accordingly. Then when I setup my programs I repositioned the board to the first letter of each program located on my XY zero which was marked on my Y rail. On each program my material size is the difference of the first letter to the last letter.
Attachments
Project1.jpg
Completed signs
Completed signs