HD 2.0 Using a spindle

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

TheByrdHouse

HD 2.0 Using a spindle

Post by TheByrdHouse »

I plan on purchasing a CNC Shark HD 2.0 sometime in the next week.

I would like to configure it with a spindle instead of a Router. Is that something Rockler offers as an option or will I need to buy one somewhere else?

Thanks for your guidance.

4DThinker

Re: HD 2.0 Using a spindle

Post by 4DThinker »

I haven't seen a spindle offered from Rockler or NWA. A few owners have talked about replacing the router with a Spindle, but sources and part numbers are not turn-key. The router clamp probably needs a new design and if it's a water-cooled spindle you'll need to manage the support pump and coil for that as well.

drueth

Post by drueth »

ByrdHouse

The other thing to consider is the weight of a spindle verse the router and also the drag of the water hoses. I have never seen a CNC with a spindle and would realy like to know why the expence of the spindle is worth it over a plan old routern. What do you gain for the cost?
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

For what its worth, I have a 1.5 KW spindle, as well as porter cable and Bosch routers.

The spindles are nice if you put a lot of hours on your machine. The chinese spindles are affordable, but can be spotty from a quality standpoint. Most require 220 volt power, their own electronics, and may need water cooling. You most certainly would need a more substantial mount to hold it on the shark.

If you really need a spindle because you will be using your machine every day for long runs, you might have been better off getting a more commercial duty machine that has longer wearing components all the way around, and is made to take a real spindle. I consider my chinese unit a "hobby spindle". I have settled in to using a porter cable 690 with high quality bearings and a Super PID speed controller. If I was going to use my machine more, I would consider putting the cheap spindle on, but for now it is doing well for me as it is.

Hope this helps

Bob
Last edited by rungemach on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheByrdHouse

Post by TheByrdHouse »

Thanks everyone for your replys.

Very helpful.