extended base

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

FGPotter

Re: extended base

Post by FGPotter »

milo30 wrote:I am seeing posts about extended bases but see nothing about them on new wave site. One of my complaints about the shark is the size. Is this an option and if so why isn't it advertised. Also it seems when someone asks about prolice, it's like it is a secret or something and no one wants to mention what theirs cost. I'm just curious about why this isn't more of an open option/topic

Date: 4/10/2013 3:36:09 PM
To: 'Garner Potter'
Subject: RE: Rocker Shark Pro HD 2.0

We can make the table upto 4 feet long at the time of order.

The 4th axis release is this month.

If you are talking about Vectric montly products they should be able to tell you in each article.

Usually you only need a 60 and 90 deg bit. And a 1/8 ballnose for most work.

Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2013 10:34 AM
To: towens@nextwaveautomation.com
Subject: Rocker Shark Pro HD 2.0

Is there any scalability in this product? By that I mean can you make the table wider and longer with upgrades? When do you plan to have the 4th axis accessory available and what will it be able to handle size wise. I cannot find any information on this other than a video shown on the Rockler site that said it was expected to debut in January I thought.

Also If I buy your system from Rockler can you tell me all of the cutting tools necessary do produce all of the plans you have supplied with the kit and tutorials and your monthly featured projects?

I am very seriously contemplating buying this but want to know what all of my up-front costs are before doing so.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I never got a response to the ext table so can't help you there.

As far as bits basically a 90 and 60 degree vbit, a 1/4 end mill and a ball nose or 2 will get you by on most anything. Can get by with less. Just depends on what you want to do. They aren't anything special just router bits you can get anywhere. 2 bits would get you by til you learned what other ones you want. Figure the machine, access to a computer and $100 or so in bits depending on brands. You'll need more software if you want to cut or create 3d and that can be costly depending on which one but vcarve pro that comes with it will do a lot.

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

I know it is living in Utopia :roll: but wouldn't it be nice it NWA released the information about the Shark instead of treating it like a National Secret ?
I couldn't care less about the software coding and doodahs in the box but things such as thread pitch, stepper data etc. etc. so one could make upgrades without needing a Ph D in CNC building and without paying exorbitant amounts in shipping.
Other CNC makers aren't so secretive.
It would be so nice to have a longer wider table.
Cheers
Wolffie

baby15

Post by baby15 »

FGPotter wrote:
milo30 wrote:I am seeing posts about extended bases but see nothing about them on new wave site. One of my complaints about the shark is the size. Is this an option and if so why isn't it advertised. Also it seems when someone asks about prolice, it's like it is a secret or something and no one wants to mention what theirs cost. I'm just curious about why this isn't more of an open option/topic

Date: 4/10/2013 3:36:09 PM
To: 'Garner Potter'
Subject: RE: Rocker Shark Pro HD 2.0

We can make the table upto 4 feet long at the time of order.

The 4th axis release is this month.

If you are talking about Vectric montly products they should be able to tell you in each article.

Usually you only need a 60 and 90 deg bit. And a 1/8 ballnose for most work.

Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2013 10:34 AM
To: towens@nextwaveautomation.com
Subject: Rocker Shark Pro HD 2.0

Is there any scalability in this product? By that I mean can you make the table wider and longer with upgrades? When do you plan to have the 4th axis accessory available and what will it be able to handle size wise. I cannot find any information on this other than a video shown on the Rockler site that said it was expected to debut in January I thought.

Also If I buy your system from Rockler can you tell me all of the cutting tools necessary do produce all of the plans you have supplied with the kit and tutorials and your monthly featured projects?

I am very seriously contemplating buying this but want to know what all of my up-front costs are before doing so.
do you sell a wider gantry. like a 36 inch to put on the hd

fishking

Post by fishking »

I am wondering if there are any issues extending the bed on the shark HD to the 52inch cutting length

SPH01

Post by SPH01 »

If there were no issues they would offer it as a factory model. The small acme screw drive will start to whip at speed, Side to side racking is an issue, carriage flexing,etc.....
The bigger you make it the stronger your base has to be and if you think getting the table flat is an issue at 24x24, stand by to surface your spoilboard.
You can just tile the project and move the wood a lot easier, or look for a much $$$$$$ machine.
Remember that UPS delievered the machine to your door, then go look at what the big boys play with. It cost more to move their machines than we paid.
My 2cents. Steve

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Here are pics of baby15 extended base I helped him with. He has no problem with it so far. The table measures 28 x 72 inches.

Tony
Attachments
P4034210.jpg
P4034211.jpg
P4034219.jpg
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

fishking

Post by fishking »

It must of worked out well for you doing that extension, lots of nice work I have seen you have done, do you use the extra length regular or worth it, because seems like it can't be made wider. I know tiling is an option. I am debating on the 4th axis as well if it ever comes out.

Thank you for your reply

Rick

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

We are into May now, and perhaps Tim O can post an update on the 4th axis (lathe) add-on that was due last month.

4D
Last edited by 4DThinker on Wed May 08, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

4DThinker wrote:We are into May now, and perhaps Tim O can post and update on the 4th axis (lathe) add-on that was due last month.

4D
:roll:
Wolffie