Carving in cedar

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

MikeDe1025

Carving in cedar

Post by MikeDe1025 »

Well, first off, Happy Mother's Day to anyone who is. And to some of us other's, like myself, who may arbitrarily carry that title.

OK, I love doing some woodwork using cedar because of the beauty of it; the ease of working with it; sanding; palm sanding and all the rest. Now that I've got a Shark and dipping into that aspect of woodworking I'm wondering how our machines and tools handle a piece of cedar. Nothing anymore special than a board that we can find at Lowe's or Depot. I know all of it's characteristics but no idea of how it reacts under a screeming Bosch Colt with a router bit.

Anyone here able to give some pro's and con's of running a project in cedar if you've done it before? Any tips as well would be a plus too.

Thanks as always,

Mike

Kevink18

Re: Carving in cedar

Post by Kevink18 »

I have had no problems cutting cedar. I left all the defalt settings and did a 3D cowboy and it turned out great

BillK

Post by BillK »

V-Carving in Cedar also works great.
image.jpg
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

MikeDe1025

Post by MikeDe1025 »

Perfect. Thanks guys. I was hoping that would be the answer. Onward and upward.

Mike

gordread

Post by gordread »

I do a lot of work in cedar, then only thing I recommend is taking small bites with you have to use large clearing bits, they can rip up the soft wood pretty good, and cause splinters where you really don't want them.

I've never had any problems with 3D or v-carving, etc. Only really when using 1/2" clearing bits, or sometimes 1/4" if I'm not careful.

Gordon

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

I've worked with red (aromatic) cedar and western cedar both and they both carve very nicely.
The red cedar seems to hold sharp edges better.
I do agree with Gordon though -- tone down the aggressive carving a bit.
While it may be tempting to get right on it it's best to be mindful of chip-out.
I've also found it's essential to seal the cuts before staining or painting them since both will spider the color otherwise.
Attachments
75276_4197958507635_1946346826_n.jpg
Karen