Materials

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

cdat

Materials

Post by cdat »

I don't really know if this is the place for this topic but it has come to my attention, about some of you looking for cheap material. Being retired and all, some of us have to think anout our budgets for this hobby. So these are my places I look for a deal:

1. Church groups. A bunch of elders with a bunch of collected stuff sitting in pole barns waiting for the right individual to come along to give it to. If you ask for it they won't part with it but do them a service or make something for their church or for a prize for a raffle and the doors come open. It's also a perfect place to find customers.

2. Auctions. Business and estates. Did you know, 9 out of every 10 new restaurants fail? That is a lot of counter top just waiting for someone to buy at a business liquidation.
If you live in Michigan or the Midwest of the US of A, there are a lot of big manufactureres going bust. A lot of tooling and material at fire sale prices.

3. Habitat for Humanity. Counter tops can be got pretty cheap there. Good Will, the bigger one's some times carry corian topped stuff too. Of course, you have to go to the rough part of the cities to get this stuff but it's there for the taking.
Let's revisit the whole "Hope I die before I get old" Thing.

GARYR6

Re: Materials

Post by GARYR6 »

My favorite place is kitchen cabinet installers.
They often are removing solid panel doors that are headed to the dump. I pop the frames to get 2 inch stock and the glued up panels make up 90% of what I cut.
The stuff stays out of the land fill and I have a large supply of cherry, oak and maple glue ups for the machine to cut.
For a free sign, they call and give me an address to pick up the doors. Works for everybody.