grounding dust collection

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

milo30

grounding dust collection

Post by milo30 »

I sometimes run a dust boot on my shark and usually it goes ok but sometimes, especially cutting mdf it will make it go a little haywire. I know it is a static electricity problem. I am using a shop vac with a dust right separator and just the plastic vac hoses. I have one of the flex hoses from rockler with the wire inside but it is so heavy that I don't feel comfortable hooking that up to the dustboot. I know you use a copper wire and ground it and plan on picking up some. My question is, how do I actually hook this up and where do I ground it exactly. Anyone have a picture of how they did theirs?

I normally don't worry about using the boot on most carvings and just vacuum up afterwards but you just can't do that with mdf.

drueth

Re: grounding dust collection

Post by drueth »

Milo30

You need to run a bare copper wire through your dust hose all the way to the dust boot. DO NOT conect the wire in any way to the the router. Do not run this wire next to any of the leads to the steper motors that move the router. The wire sould run through the dust hose to a good ground. This can be a grounded electial outlet or a pipe you know is grounded. The wire you need to run should only be grounded on one end. ( faraday shield )
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Would using a round wire connector slipped over the ground prong of the shop vac electrical cord where you plug into the outlet work or does it need to be actually connected to the outlet?
Last edited by milo30 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

drueth

Post by drueth »

Milo30

Not sure I understand what you are asking. The only thing I can say is the wire need to connect to a good ground source. If it is a "bad connection" it is not going to work right. The hole point of the ground wire is to disapate any static electric that may build up from the dust. You do not want any restinance because of a looses connection.
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

Milo30.

First understand that you need to ground the entire length of the vacuum system. My system uses a central dust collector whit the main run made of 4 inch PVC. What I did as I constructed the system I drilled a small hole near the end of each tube, back far enough that the coupler would not cover it. I ran a bare copper wire, NO varnish or plastic coating, from one hole to the next inside the tube and then used a small nut and bolt the secure the wire and close the hole. I then use another piece of wire to jump from one tube to the next pasted the couplers. This way if I have a clog I can break the joints and not have to rewire the whole system. For the final section I run the wire through a shop vac hose (homedepot and lowes have it for sale) tieing one end to the bolt on my last tube and hooking the other end over the end of the vacuum hose so that it's held in place when I connect the hose to the dust boot. The other end it tied to the ground of an electrical outlet. Water pipes are not good to ground to as too many times there are plastic connectors and tubes that Isolate the pipe from ground.

drueth

Post by drueth »

Sk8nmike

Your statement about a water pipe not being a good ground I guess it all depende on the building/electrical codes were you live. In my house I have all copper pipe for the hot an cold water. And I was required to run a 8 gage bare coper wire from my main electric box to the nearest pipe. I also had to have starps the continue the ground around any thing like an inline filter that would break that ground run. So I guess it all depends on were you live. If you can not follow the pipe all the way back to a ground source than I would say do not use the water pipe but a grounded electrical outlet.

I like the idea you had for grounding the PVC pipe.
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

CityguyUSA

Post by CityguyUSA »

@sk8nmike I know this is an old post but how has your setup worked out? Anything you especially liked, would change or hated?

If you have an image of exactly how you connected the tubes/pipes with the copper that would be great to see.

markjonesranger

Post by markjonesranger »

Spent 42 years as a Lineman for at&t. Bonding and Grounding was a daily thing I worked on. I took a old extension cord that was 12" long with the male plug still on it. Cut the Hot and the neutral wires short and isolated them apart and sealed them up so they could not be in contact with anything. Then the ground green wire I put a connector on the end of it so I could use it as a test plug that brings ground out or in your case a grounding plug. We had similar factory made plugs at work that did the same thing. Anything that shocks you run a ground wire to it. Shorter the better. Don't vacuum over your pendant. It may blow a card. Speaking from experience.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Speaking from experience.
Which??? Dust Collection or Electrical Shock? :lol:

I guess if you have not blown your mind --- then all is good!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

markjonesranger

Post by markjonesranger »

After 42 years I have seen and felt a lot. Lightning knocking me down. High voltage damage. Low voltage faults. Inductive faults. Crosses, shorts and Grounds. Water, ants, mice and rat urine, bird nests, cats, dogs, horses, goats, Today as I was machine sanding 10 cedar 12" by 18" long map blanks the 2.5" shop vac hose that was suspended by a bungie over the top of the Sanding machine had generated enough static in it to raise my hair..... I thought I should ground that as that feels weird! I didn't but it's in my mind to address it one of these days.