Heads up concerning AVG updates

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

RhB_HJ

Heads up concerning AVG updates

Post by RhB_HJ »

Just in case you're using AVG 11 as your anti virus SW. The most recent update - installs automatically and then requests a system restart - could corrupt your OS. Typical indication: OS will go into a never ending restart loop. None of the choices that are shown on the Safe Mode screen solved the problem. GRRRRRRR
Very annoying and apparently the second instance of the same "glitch" this year. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Cheers

HJ
_______
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

Dwayne125

Re: Heads up concerning AVG updates

Post by Dwayne125 »

I also have AVG and had a simular problem. I would keep getting a compleeting update to version 11 system must be restarted prompt everytime I started up my system. I just reset to an earlier save point, and the problem was gone. However im still running the AVG 2011 version. This was about a month ago, hope I didnt ginx myself :mrgreen: what version of windows are u running? Im on XP. Give it a shot and see what happens, you can always reverse the process if it fails to help.

RhB_HJ

Post by RhB_HJ »

Hi Dwayne,

I'm running Win7pro 64bit on that box. Nope wouldn't let me into safe mode, repair or any of the stuff that usually helps. BTW this is a 6 months old Gateway box with "burn your own recovery DVDs", which in this case didn't do squat. The techies at the BigBox vendor's were aware of the AVG problem; I wasn't until I checked Google for posts.

Since it's Murphy Week (at least here), this morning the Toshiba laptop comes up with the "imminent HDD failure" warning. :roll: :roll:

As I wrote GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Cheers

HJ
_______
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC Canada

Dwayne125

Post by Dwayne125 »

Did you start the compugeerrrrr up with a recovery disk or try and fix windows with the origional oem instal disk if u have one? I hope AVG doesnt have to many issues, so far their software has been great. Perhaps they figure that your pewter wont get a virus if you cant fire it up and get online? Hope it all works out for you, keep me posted.

RhB_HJ

Post by RhB_HJ »

Dwayne, :)

Short of standing on my head while attempting recovery I tried every variation that I know of. Yep the 'puter is back up and running, the techies at the BigBox must know something that I don't and I was too frustrated to search all over the internet to find the magic. :oops: :oops: It's either that or I'm getting too lazy in my old age. ;)
Cheers

HJ
_______
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC Canada

Dwayne125

Post by Dwayne125 »

Aye HJ
<<<< takes many naps and doesnt stay mad long. I guess I forget that im mad is all :mrgreen: Thanks for the posts and I will keep an eye out on the AVG. I just finished setting up my shark and ran my first project. works good and I wasnt stumped to the point where I had to post on here other then the fact that the router didnt fit my friction plate. Wait till your vision starts failing... thats even more fun yet :ugeek: