Getting a Flat Shark Pro Plus Table

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

REG

Getting a Flat Shark Pro Plus Table

Post by REG »

I have been fighting with a perfect plane on top of my material to the mandral. In other words my table is not on the same flat plane as the gantry and mandral. The new SPP has a great table to use for just about kind of clamping but the suggested fix was to secure a spoiler board and surface the board with the SPP router. Instead of covering the entire table I cut 1" X 3" strips of oak and secured them with 1/4" X 3/4" machine screws counter sunk in the oak strps. I set all the strips in the cutting reach of the mandral. I ran a 3/4" surfacing cut in two pass with each pass taking 1/16". In the passes I can see a difference in the depth of the pass compared to adjacent strips. The real test came when I did a light carve project. My carve depth was consistant throughout - something I have not had since I bought the SPP. It was a great day outside and better light so I pulled the Shark to my driveway outside my shop to cut my strips. Photos:
Attachments
Planing strips
Planing strips
Strips before planing
Strips before planing

Dwayne125

Re: Getting a Flat Shark Pro Plus Table

Post by Dwayne125 »

I am waiting for my shark to arrive, hopefully Tuesday, but is there a way to machine some thin MDF then put it under the table to make it flat?

REG

Post by REG »

You could use MDF but a sheet of MDF would cover all the T-slots virtually eliminating the clamping ability of the aluminum table design. You could also use MDF strips but MDF is very absorbant to moisture and will swell over time. Oak will absorb moisture too but not as much. You need to machine your surface on the table so the mandral machines to any variances across the X and Y axis.

RhB_HJ

Post by RhB_HJ »

Bobby,

I guess one could use different supplementary tables (fixtures) made of MDF and use them with fixed reference points - dowel pins in the alu table - for consistent set ups. +/- a few thousands of an inch. At least that's my general plan.
Today's the day I put a machined/scraped straight edge on my table. Since my laptop is at the doctor's for an organ transplant (new HDD) it will be a bit longer before I get to indicate the table. But I'm not in a hurry. ;) :shock:
Cheers

HJ
_______
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

REG

Post by REG »

I guess one could use different supplementary tables (fixtures) made of MDF and use them with fixed reference points - dowel pins in the alu table - for consistent set ups. +/- a few thousands of an inch.
Yes, you could do that and I did consider that method myself. But, if I "missed" the location placement by a fraction it could cost me my project material. I was looking for a semi-permanent solution without giving up the tooling ability of the table. This setup gives me two functions; still being able to clamp to the aluminum table and provides a spoiler for projects the cut deeper into the material.
I can cut into these strips a few times before they would be deemed need of new machining. Should I need to replace these I would do things a little different such as offsetting my securing screws so that I could open an adjacent T-slot. I also found solid bars of vinyl material (1" X 3") at the local HD that I may use next time. Being vinyl, moisture will not affect it as much as wood and the vinyl being solid I can machine it down with the same 3/4" surface bit.

Sorry to hear about the temporary loss of the laptop. Hopefully information will pump out the ole laptop better with the new organ.

Bobby

Dwayne125

Post by Dwayne125 »

I think my post was missunderstood. My Idea was to take some material (ply,mdf,pine,etc) and clamp it to the table. Next machine the material with the shark and that would make it flat to the spindle. Take that material and affix it to the base and ..UNDER.. the alum top, thus making the aluminum top flat to the spindle. I was just asking if that could be done, as I dont have my shark yet and cant see the machines layout/construction.

REG

Post by REG »

Dwayne125 wrote:I think my post was missunderstood. Take that material and affix it to the base and ..UNDER.. the alum top
Yea, I mis-read that. I don't think that will work well. One reason is the material will exceed the clearance of the underside fasteners. You could get longer fasterners but it is still a little complicated. It could be done but I don't know that the machined wood surfaced would give the same plane as it did on top. Only one way to find out and that is try it and then run a dial indicator across the table from the Z axis.

Dwayne125

Post by Dwayne125 »

Reg, It was just a thought, without actually seeing the machine in person I didnt know what you would be up againt doing that. If U do try it let me know how it turns out. I just finished putting my shark together and setting everything up. Ran my first project and all worked well. I plan on making a table using wooden dogs that cams would fit onto. I hope all works out for you.

REG

Post by REG »

Dwayne125 wrote:Reg, It was just a thought, without actually seeing the machine in person I didnt know what you would be up againt doing that. If U do try it let me know how it turns out. I just finished putting my shark together and setting everything up. Ran my first project and all worked well. I plan on making a table using wooden dogs that cams would fit onto. I hope all works out for you.
Now that you have your own Shark you might be able to understand better. The slats work for now but my experimenting days are far from over :?