Dead Z axis

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Loudspeakerboy

Dead Z axis

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

Morning all

I popped into the shop this morning to cut some shell for a fingerboard inlay. I fired up my shark, went to jog the router out of the way and had no Z control. X & Y are fine. I swapped channels to see if the stepper motor was falty. It's fine. The control software says the Z axis is moving, but there is no response at the motor. Dead controller?

I have to say this is the first trouble I've had with my machine. I love my shark!

Thanks,

Michael

4DThinker

Re: Dead Z axis

Post by 4DThinker »

A couple of things to check...
- Is the Z motor spinning when you jog it? The coupler between the threaded shaft and the motor may be loose.
- If the Z motor and shaft work fine when you have it plugged into X or Y, and neither of the other motors work when plugged into Z, then it does sound like a controller failure/short at the Z axis jack. It could have been a weak solder joint that failed after a few cycles of thermal expansion/contraction.

Definitely contact NextWave. They have provided good support to me when I needed it. Good luck getting this one figured out.

4D

Loudspeakerboy

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

Hi 4D

There is absolutely nothing happening on the Z axis. Not a sound. The motor operates perfectly when I plug it into another channel.

I've got an email into nextwave. They have already responded.. Quick

Loudspeakerboy

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

I wanted to say that the folks at NWA are really on the ball! I emailed them and had a response within 20 minutes. He agreed with me that the controller was bad. I've got a new one on the way..

I need my Shark back!!