Tapered bits in Cut 3D?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

AChad9

Tapered bits in Cut 3D?

Post by AChad9 »

I am looking for some help, and advice. I have a little experience with v-carve, and am attempting to expand into cut 3d. I got some tapered ball nose bits. I was thinking that if I was able to use these for 3D carving I would be able to get more detail. Is there a way to import the bits into the cut software? V carve has a selection for tapered bits but not in cut 3D. Anyone have any Ideas? Is using tapered bits a bad idea?

Keith Hodges

Re: Tapered bits in Cut 3D?

Post by Keith Hodges »

After importing a 3 D file into Cut3D, set up the project, then you go to the toolpath page. First the roughing tool path page. At the top, you'll see the cutter info. Click on the button to the right, and it'll take you to all your cutters. Do the same with the finish toolpath, and again if your going to cutout the project. And yes, using ballnose bits is a very good way to carve 3D projects. Cut 3D is a little different than Vcarve, but pretty easy to figure out. Keith
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

It just occurred to me that you may have been looking for bits listed as tapered bits. These are ball nose bits. .125 ballnose is 1/8 inch bit, which I use almost exclusively for roughing, as well as finish toolpaths, just adjusting the step over between the two. If I have a lot to remove in the roughing toolpath, then I'll use a .25 straight bit, which is listed as an end mill. Hopefully this is all the problem your having.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

Tapered bits are best for the finishing path on 3D carvings, they carve the fine details. You find them listed in the tool database as Tapered Ball Nose, select new, then Tapered Ball Nose under bit type. Fill in the information paying attention to the diagram.

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

In the latest version of Cut3D, V1.11, tapered ball nose bits are entered as "Radiused Engraving" tool type.

The setup information is the same as Aspire's/VCP's/Cut2D's "Tapered Ball Nose" tool type. The terminology was changed in Aspire/VCP/Cut2D a few revisions ago to make it clearer as I assume Cut3D's will be in future releases.

Tim

AChad9

Post by AChad9 »

Thanks for the help! I will load the cut data for my tapered ball nose under the radiused engraving. Glad to know I wasn't completely barking up the wrong tree. I will play around with a few different setups, and see what is working.