painting corian question

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

milo30

painting corian question

Post by milo30 »

I've been working alot with corian lately. I had a friend request a large coat of arms. I cut it and it came out nice. I just vcarve it, spray paint and then sand the paint off of the flat area. Easy, fast and looks great. When he came to pick it up he wanted some coasters and keychains with the emblem on them. I made some 4" coasters and a couple of 2"X3" keychains. For these because of the size I just ran an engraving toolpath. They came out nice and I should have left them alone but as usual, I couldn't help myself and I sprayed them also. When I sanded them, some sanded away more of the engraving than others. They look fine as a single but as a set I was not happy with the uniformity or lack there of.

I believe that the area is going to be too fine to use contact paper and still have access to the areas that I want painted. Does anyone have a suggestion of something to use in place of the paint that I could basically wipe off the flat area and then seal with something. After seeing the potential for really nice coaster sets, I want to learn of another way to finish them. He was happy but I thought it was a crappy job. If he hadn't been there, they would have ended up in the trash bin.
Attachments
grice coaster.bmp

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: painting corian question

Post by jeb2cav »

I've read where some folks use a squeegee - apply the material and quickly squeegee it off. Haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. I think I read it on the Vectric forum - but unfortunately didn't save that post as a reference.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

thanks, I'll do a search there to see what i find.

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Maybe use an acrylic paint that won't dry as quickly as a spray paint?
Added benefit of being able to wipe off any little bits that dry with a damp paper towel.
Something else I'd try would be a colored wax fill pencil like this -- http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?filt ... page=31487
Warm it a bit, scribble it on, let it set up then buff it out with an old sock or t-shirt. It will fill the engraved lines but won't, of course, stain the Corian.

Editing to add: We've been doing some very small, like 1.5" x 1" Made in US medallions and have successfully used contact paper and stencil ink.
Karen

milo30

Post by milo30 »

That fill stick is interesting. Maybe contact paper will work then. I just assumed because it was such a small area that it wouldn't work for my application but I never tried it.

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

If you want to try the fill stick without going through the hassle of ordering one and waiting for it then sneak into your kid's room and snatch a dark brown or black crayon.
Basically the same thing.
I've used crayons to fill dings in laminate surfaces and the repair was never noticeable to anyone.
Karen