Setting Verticle Alignment

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

radman

Setting Verticle Alignment

Post by radman »

Bought my Shark Pro HD 3 weeks ago and have been working on a computer desk with a raise up top for my wife so she can sit in the living room in her easy chair and use her laptop. I will share when it is done. I am going to make some bracket arms that will require cutting through so I decided to make a spoil or scarf board from some plywood I had. While carving a leveling carve, I noticed that the Z axis is tilted in the +Y direction. Is there a way to adjust this. I could not find anything in the Shark manual and a search for alignment in the forum brought me to this thread. Any suggestions on how to accurate check the alignment of the mount would be appreciated.
Carving for the Grandkids!!

CNC Shark Pro HD, VCarve Pro, Cut 3d, Vectric Art 3d Machinist

milo30

Re: Setting Verticle Alignment

Post by milo30 »

Make sure router is fully seated and might need to shim it. To test you need a flat spoil board then take a piece of wire an bend it twice. You want one end coming out of router to a 90 degree bend running parallel to table top then anoth 90 degree bend pointing down. You slowly hand spin it to check for router mounted level. There are other ways to do it also.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

On all HD models - if you look down on the top of the gantry - you'll find 4 hex bolts in an aluminum plate - this is the side opposite the router carriage. You can loosen these and adjust the axis of the cutter to bring it 'square' to the table. I use a blank rod mounted in the router collet and a small square. Milo's 90 degree wire is a great idea as well.

You're correct in noting that this is not in the current Shark Owner's Manual - a feature not known to the author at the time and missed in review...

Milo's recommendation to shim is also a technique - however if you're router is properly mounted in the carriage - and you are an HD owner (1.0/2.0 (includes Mako) - then this adjustment is probably the method to try to use first.

I'll see if I remember to take a picture in the morning and attach to this as well.

radman

Post by radman »

Thank You Jeb and Milo for your responses. Before I went bed last night I had tried the wire trick and found the router to be tilted .8 degrees to the +Y. I went to bed thinking about my problem and had to get up about 4 hours later to answer the "call". Went back to bed and did not sleep but kept thinking about my alignment. Got up and went to look at the machine. The router is a PC 690 and it was down as far as it would go. Further observation showed the router sitting on top of the front screw heads. I loosened the clamps and raised the router off the screws and rechecked with the wire. It is now almost exact. Going to run my scarf carve again and see what happens.
I included a picture of what appears to be the aluminum plate you referred to jeb, but I do not understand how it will adjust the tilt.
053.JPG

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Those are the screws - if you loosen them, you'll find that you can change the alignment/orientation of the carriage for a few degrees (haven't really measured it) in any direction around the router axis.

radman

Post by radman »

Thanks Jeb I will try after I do my next scarf run.
Tom