Unwanted Ramping of Text

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Signdan

Unwanted Ramping of Text

Post by Signdan »

Hi All,

Re: Welcome to CNC Shark Talk!

I have a problem I can neither solve nor find in the forums.

In a nut shell: As my Shark system cuts letters for text (I mostly just use use Quick Text for my sign business), it smoothly descends to say, .125, goes around the letter fine until it is about 1/2 to 3/4 done then it visibly ramps up and out all while the computer screen shows .125. This deforms the letters and makes the sign unsellable, never mind the waste of material and time.

I have checked table flatness, material flatness, tried resetting the SD card, even deleted and re-installed Vcarve Pro & the Shark Control panel. Updated the firmware. Software is up todate. Nothing helps.

I sent a couple of my g-codes generated with VCarve Pro to a Vetric tech who said there is nothing wrong there.

It seems to cut graphics just fine, it is the text it messes up. Why? And how do I fix this?

Thanks in advance!
I don't know how I ever had time for a real job ....

4DThinker

Re: Unwanted Ramping of Text

Post by 4DThinker »

When you say Quick Text, do you mean one of the few Quick Type truetype fonts the system has?
What tool path are you using to carve the text with? The fluting tool path can do what you describe. I'd use the VCarve tool path. When I preview my VCarve results on a test file using Quick Type I see nothing happening that resembles your problem.

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that "Quick Text" meant the Quick Engraving toolpath?
Signdan, I think you posted the file over on the Vectric forum but would you post it here so others can take a look at it?

Edited to correct -- I just checked the Vectric forum and see you didn't post a file over there but I sure would like to open it up myself to see the settings. I know Vectric said your code was all good but maybe someone here can duplicate the problem and find a solution.
Karen

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

I just re-read that thread on the Vectric forum and saw your last reply.
As for the Post processor, I am using what Rockler sold with the machine.
I had suggested it earlier but will repeat it now that I've seen this -- check that you're using the correct post processor.
Rockler didn't sell a particular post processor with the machine. You'll find an entire list of PPs in the drop-down menu. The top one is chosen by default so you have to open the menu and choose the correct processor for the Shark. Using the wrong one will cause all sorts of problems.
Attachments
PP snip.JPG
Karen

Signdan

Post by Signdan »

Hi Karen,

I didn't understand your question, being totally new to this. I do select CNC Shark usb arcs .tap as the output file type. I do understand using another type will cause problems. I read in the manual which one to save it to.

Yeah it is the Quick Engraving toolpath I was using, my bad.

Recent developments: I spoke with the Techs at Next Wave, they couldn't help. I then went to Rockler and down their extensive list of things to check including measuring the different depth of cuts on the same carving as well as how level my table was to the machine. They decided something is out of whack so a new machine is on it's way. They were very good to work with on this as was Next Wave.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.
I don't know how I ever had time for a real job ....