Choosing the correct font to the project.

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

cncjohn

Choosing the correct font to the project.

Post by cncjohn »

Is there a good web site that demonstrates the correct font to the project? Say boat sign or camping sign.

John

KarenW

Re: Choosing the correct font to the project.

Post by KarenW »

I don't know of any websites made for that purpose but here's an article you can read that might clear up how to make font choices. http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/705/1/

I'm big into fonts, as is Eagle55. We both agree that font selection is critical to some projects.
Some fonts have a 'feel' to them. When you look at them you know what they're for. Some you know are absolutely wrong. For instance, you wouldn't use Comic Sans for a business sign or Times New Roman for a children's sign.
With that in mind, I chose a few for your subjects to try them out.
You can also google images having to do with your subject to get ideas on which fonts are appropriate.
Attachments
font examples.JPG
Karen

cncjohn

Post by cncjohn »

Thanks for the advice and examples. The problem I have is looking at a certain font and find the name of it. What were the names of the examples you gave?

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

As soon as I deleted that file I knew you'd ask. :lol:
Nautical -- WakingUp
Sailing -- Vladimir Script
Let's Go Camping -- Techno Pro
Ships at Sea -- Script MT Bold
Boats -- Tango BT
RV PARK and Campground -- Prodigal
Rough Camping Only -- Roller World BTN Bold Out

Here's a really good site for fonts.
http://www.fontriver.com/basic/
Just cruise through and pick the things you like
Karen

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Now Karen, you know I'm gonna speak up on this topic! LOL Yes, CNCJohn, some of us, me for one, believe the font selections will make a project exceptional just as quickly as it can break a project. Here is an example of something that "feels" like it fits. I recently did an ad copy for a local cafe in a program guide. This is the font that I used for the name of the business. Both the name of the business and the location (on the river) just begged for this font. Font name is Ocean View (although often you can find the same or similar fonts by various names. You may have seen my "font boards" on other posts, but what I do is go though when I have time and choose several neat fonts that look like they have a purpose, just don't know what yet, and add them to my font list, then cut some of the more interesting or popular ones that I use on font boards so I can use them for personal reference or to show a customer a font that I am thinking about using or for that matter to let them choose one. That way I don't have to look my eyes out for one that I think I saw or thought I had. It also serves as a demo unit for material colors and edge treatments for the customer to see the quality of the work. I have seen many projects posted that were great work and great design that use a font that was "blah" and it turned a top notch project into just a hacked out "run of the mill" carving.... that's how important I think matching the font to the project is. Its not that Times New Roman and Arial fonts are bad... they too have their proper place, but when you have the awesome capabilities that you have with CNC and don't exploit them, sometimes you just miss the boat on a design. (which can translate to missing a sale) But then that's just my opinion LOL, but I think I'm right ! ha ha ha

Roger

Oh and the font board idea also keeps the look of the font and the name of the font together so when you see what you need, you know what to look for on the large list of fonts on your computer.
Attachments
River View.jpg
Font Board A.JPG
Font Board B.JPG
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

I happen to think you're right too. :mrgreen:

I love fonts and it's one of the more enjoyable parts of designing a piece, IMO.
And yes, the wrong font can tank a job in 30 seconds.
I even have a collection of WingDings because they have great small graphics that are usually very clear and clean.
Attachments
Wrong vs Right.
Wrong vs Right.
Karen

cncjohn

Post by cncjohn »

Thank you both. This was a big help.